Replacing KE4 crank seals

Home Forum Ask A Member Replacing KE4 crank seals

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• reiter

Replies: 2
    Topics: 5

I have a KE4 that I am working on. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on changing the crank seals? I would also like to know what people recommend for a sealant for new gaskets

Thanks

green-thumbs

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 583
    Topics: 43

Upper crankshaft seal 7415
    Lower crankshaft seal was part of lower cover. There are several work arounds
    or you can leave it be.
    louis

green-thumbs

US Member - 2 Years

Gaskets depend upon whether you have more time and patience or more money.
    The $5 Made in China gasket punches are a very good value for the money. Industrial
    grade gasket punches are EXPENSIVE unless you can find them at a garage sale.

That said, there are 3 gaskets I would suggest you purchase, the gasket between
    the powerhead and the drive shaft/ exhaust housing, part # 27-24204
    manifold to cylinder gasket part# 27-21696
    manifold to driveshaft housing 27-23049
    They are not hard to make BUT obtaining suitable heat resistant material is difficult
    and may contain asbestos (as do old gaskets on engine)

The gasket inside manifold is difficult to make (later 2 piece manifold) and requires
    a THICK heat resistant material

2 other gaskets required to seal cooling water circuit
    27-21668 between water jackets
    27 – 24203 water tube gasket between driveshat housing and powerhead
    some use an “O” ring instead.

So whats to make?
    Crankcase to cylinder jackets
    cylinder to water jacket
    spark plug flange to water jacket
    lower cover gasket
    water pump to gear case

The lower drive shaft seal is made from a piece of leather or raw hidel
    on the KD and earlier models and can also be made with gasket punches plus a
    small bit of imagination.

Tools required set of punches, scissors, cutting block, ruler, pencil, pen., drawing compass comes in useful at times.
    Louis

green-thumbs

US Member - 2 Years

Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant with brush in cap

I have found that placing gasket on board and “painting” each side in turn give a tacky gasket without excess sealant…wear disposable H/F rubber gloves
    as it is about impossible to scrub off hands and fingers.
    Louis

johng

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 102
    Topics: 11

Hi Louis, Here is a solution for the Early K Series up to MK-7 motors (6 -7 1/2 HP) concerning the Lower Crank Seal. I have used these Seals many times. The originals are rare. Find a local Auto Trans Repair Shop in your area that will take the time with you. You need the Shift Shaft Seal from a “Ford C-6 Automatic Transmission.” 1966′ -1976′ It is the correct fit. It is a chore to remove the crank cover metal seal cap, be careful with that. Just pull out the original seal and drive in the Ford C-6 seal. (Lip of seal pointed Down). I think same seal on the Early K series Single Cylinder motors.

green-thumbs

US Member - 2 Years

Thank You for the helpful suggestion. I just got back from local NAPA with some seals (7415 upper crankcase seal and 4923 seals for 3 slit vane type water pump used on \a number of pre KE4 singles and twins. My experience with seals is it is best to order by
    part number.
    A brief scan of internet reveals a wide price range as well as some variety in what is
    pictured as the seal. Sounds like I am in for another trip to NAPA as will as some more
    research on the net.
    Thank again for a useful hint.
    Louis

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1556
    Topics: 54

Louis,
    You are the man!!
    God Bless,
    Jeff

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.