Home Forum Ask A Member resealing power head

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Hi Guys,
      Couple of questions. When resealing the power head on my FD 20 what sealer do you guys find best for this?
      Is there a diagram or photo with sealer applied showing where and how much sealer to use?

Thanks guys,
      Wannabe

chris-p
      Participant

With the spaghetti seal, I use 3M 847, same as the gearcases.

First clean with acetone.

I use a small brush, and apply it evenly across the mating surface. You don’t want too much that it will get into the passages. Push the spaghetti seal to outer edge of groove, before trimming, so that it cannot shrink.

Align crank case halves, drive in alignment pins, then torque bolts to spec.

wiscoboater
        Participant

??? What spaghetti seal ?? I did not see one when I disassembled ?

beerman57
          Participant

Some bigger & newer motors have spaghetti seal between the block halves. What you want is gel-seal or anaerobic (god, I spelled it right first try) seal. I know NAPA has it and probably most auto parts stores do.

chris-p
            Participant

My mistake! Correct FD20 does not have a spaghetti seal. If you use the Gel Seal, follow the instructions!

I still use the 3m 847, I like it. Some guys use the Loctite equivalent as well, is it 518? I forget, I have not personally tried it.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I like the 847 also, works great. The gel seal works great also, but proper prep is a must or it won’t set up properly…

pappy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Proper usage of Gel Seal is the way to fly. This product will not shim the block halves apart.

wiscoboater
                  Participant

I tried searching gel seal and it keeps coming up as woman’s nail polish sealer. I’m assuming that is not what you guys are referring to?

wedgie
                    Participant

It’s a Permatex product I believe. lemme check.

Think this is it
                      Permatex Anaerobic flange sealant http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Permatex-51 … Dw&vxp=mtr …

oltimer
                      Participant

Wedgie, that’s the same product from Loctite that I use in # 510 and 515 for sealing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.