Home Forum Ask A Member Restore or not restore that is the question.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    priwing
    Participant

I picked up a rare champion race motor total original unmolested. I would like opinions on doing a total restoration or just clean and get running. It is in very nice condition for its age and use. They are beautiful motors restored. But they’re only original once. What should I do.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Pics would help.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Like you say – "They are only original once." On the other hand, A maticulessly and authentically restored model would be indistinguishable from an original in 20 or so years. The problem being that an inaccurate restoration could in 20 or so years cause great confusion as to what the original "look" actually was. In other words, if you do decide to restore it, be absolutely sure the restoration is accurate.

chris-p
          Participant

I would say the majority of collectors, want them original. They are only like that once as you say. I keep all the nice originals in my collection. The restored motors I sell. I could always restore another, but never find a beauty original again.

I went to an auction where the dirty, gritty originals were going for much more than the fully restored motors. No one wanted them.

Just my 2 cents.

Im not against restoring motors, I do it all the time. But I paint the ones that really need it. I keep the choice originals, choice.

Goman
            Participant

I believe my next one I’ll get mechanically correct and running then restore. Just in case I have to go back in…again!

mr-asa
              Participant

As Garry said, be meticulous with the restoration, and take pictures of absolutely everything. It will help give credence to your restoration and help others later down the line.

Get pics of it dirty and clean. Take pictures of every single thing that looks important before you take it apart

priwing
                Participant

Well crap. I’ll have to sleep on this one

mr-asa
                  Participant

No matter what you do, take and share pictures

Mumbles
                    Participant

’57 Johnson CD 5.5 horse as found.

After tweaking it a bit.

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

That’s a beauty Mumbles……. but too nice to use now!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.