Home Forum Ask A Member Rollerball and the 13 th century !

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I remember that in the movie Rollerball, the main actor James Caan visits the government librarian to find out that ” history ” has been stored in giant world computer called Zero…. ” Zero is flawed, which is revealed when the librarian mentions that Zero has “lost” the entire 13th century.”
      source : Wikipedia

I just bring up this thing relative to our own collective… accumulated information (history) on outboards that is in peril as we all move onwards from OMC’s to OMG !

There was an article in the Outboarder not to long ago on the subject of legacy.

Hopefully out databases of knowledge, pictures , wisdom will not end up in the zero bin.

Is it conceivable that we could all copy out mega & giga files of documents and pictures and centralize them in some AOMCI storage site either in a cloud format or …whatever won’t get lost .

Big job .. big loss if we loose our 20th century

(sorry for the grim topic….) … back to happy things 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

I lost 2002 to 2004 when a lightning strike took out my computer & hard drive. I then backed up to one of the off site storage companies. (AKA Cloud storage) That went down in only 10 months do to a wild fire in California. AND we all know what happened when our site got too popular for our web provider to handle. We lost years of knowledge. All I can say is: copy and backup all you can, No one knows what tomorrow may bring. According to historians, all the knowledge in the known world was lost when the oppressed Peasants rose up against the Elites and sacked and burned the Library of Alexandrea, what followed we call the Dark Ages . . . An apparatus was recently recovered from a shipwreck in the Mediterranean from that period that was deduced as being a mechanical device to chart the position of the earth and moon in relation to the sun & stars to aid navigation. It could have been made by a Swiss watch maker with its fine gears and levers. Something we only found out a thousand year later –

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.