Rolling and sinking boat (don’ts)

Home Forum Safety Rolling and sinking boat (don’ts)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar outbdnut2 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
    Randy in Tampa
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 708
    Topics: 117

well I rolled and sunk my Larson boat and 1950 Johnson PO this weekend in the Suwanee River 😐 thought I could share a little advice on what caused it and what not to do, first too much weight in the boat, 12′ boat and was made for two people I decided to take a third because I felt bad for him missing the cruise,2nd too much wake from other boats, it felt uncomfortable and I should’ve turned around and gone back, 3rd didn’t realize the steering cables had gone slack from use and did not have enough tension on them. Moral of the story safety first! and make sure all your equipment is in working order and use commonsense! Fortunately no one was seriously hurt and the boat was recovered and running up and down the Suwanee River about an hour after sinking…. Thanks Steve! I hope anyone reading this can learn something from it I sure did from the experience 😉

Attachments:

mr-asa
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 754
    Topics: 128

Goes back to this thread of mine
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7179
    Glad you didn’t lose the boat, that one is too pretty to lose to the water

I need to redo the foam pretty badly, I also found a third set of foam block under the bow cap, so my numbers in that thread are bad.

sydinnj
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 128
    Topics: 5

Glad to hear that all worked out ok. Remember that on smaller boats under 20′ that have no capaticy plate, the rule of thumb is length X width divided by 15 then this number x 150 gives us aprox the max weight for the boat. This includes passengers, motor, fuel and gear.

vintin
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 556
    Topics: 16

Randy I heard that you had flipped your boat.

Did you lose steering?

Glad it worked out OK for all.

Randy in Tampa
    US Member - 1 Year
    quote VinTin:

Randy I heard that you had flipped your boat.
    didn’t lose it just didn’t have good steering, there was too much slack and I didn’t catch that until I needed to turn the boat quickly and couldn’t, along with other factors mentioned earlier of course, I have a new pulleys that I’ll be installing and tightening up the steering before use her again 😉
    Did you lose steering?

Glad it worked out OK for all.

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4104
    Topics: 420

I’m glad to see you and your crew are OK and never got bitten by the prop!

One question though, how come no one in the Suwanee River photos posted elsewhere (except the young fellow in your boat) are wearing life jackets or PFD’s of some kind?

vintin
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 556
    Topics: 16

I don’t wear a PFD when boating because it is a personal choice.

Randy in Tampa
    US Member - 1 Year

The photo I posted is from a different meet, it was from Lake shipp, The young kids and old kids like Garry Spencer are required to wear PFDs in my boat 😎

quote Mumbles:

I’m glad to see you and your crew are OK and never got bitten by the prop!

One question though, how come no one in the Suwanee River photos posted elsewhere (except the young fellow in your boat) are wearing life jackets or PFD’s of some kind?

49hiawatha

Replies: 267
    Topics: 25

Well in Massachusetts from Sept 15 to May 15 following year PFDs are mandatory for ALL! I understand some states vary but others do not.

pappy
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 616
    Topics: 37
    quote 49Hiawatha:

Well in Massachusetts from Sept 15 to May 15 following year PFDs are mandatory for ALL! I understand some states vary but others do not.

Ahh….Government intervention at it’s best!

johnny-infl

Replies: 211
    Topics: 20

Randy – I am guessing you don’t have flotation foam in your boat. (or do you??)
    how did you recover it ??
    was there enough air trapped in the bow that it floated nose up ?
    I don’t have any foam in my two boats and always have that feeling
    in the back of my mind of – "what if" – and how to recover it from 30 or more
    feet of water !!!

Randy in Tampa
    US Member - 1 Year

I had my life vest in a box in the bow and It kept the bow floating above water 😉

johnny-infl

Replies: 211
    Topics: 20

Thanks Randy !!
    I was thinking of gluing some 3/4" styrofoam sheets underneath my bow deck
    in several layers to about 6" thick so it won’t be visible from the outside of the boat.
    Hopefully, this will provide the same buoyancy factors as the original aluminum air floats that
    were under the bow deck and two seats.
    also, I will seal every air escape route in the nose to make an air tight capsule should I ever swamp my boat.
    now that you say your life vest box alone (or helped) may have saved your boat from the depths is
    a very good sign that what I have in mind will work. (hopefully).

20mercman
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 582
    Topics: 21

We have basically the same boat, ( Actually it is my son Kevin’s Crestliner Commander 12) it has the same cockpit configuration. I found this to be a very seaworthy hull, but it does corner very sharply. The biggest motor we have run on it so far is a Mark 25, but this thing really fly’s with one. I noticed that you could get yourself into trouble fairly easily if you were to toss it into a hard turn, it will turn! 😮 If you or passengers are not ready, their weight will shift and I can see it contributing to the accident. Does your hull have the air boxes? Ours has a large air box under the deck and a air box under the middle seat. (I think there is one under the rear seat as well) Do you have any idea on the weight you had in the boat at the time? The Crestliner 1956 brochure shows 4 folks in one, but it does not list a weight capacity.

Kevin recently purchased a Lund that a previous owner removed all of the floatation from 🙄 We are of course going to restore the floatation, but have not decided on what to put in there for it.

Steve

Randy in Tampa
    US Member - 1 Year

as far as weight about 600 pounds worth of people and a PO at about 100 pounds so somewhere between 700 -750 pounds, don’t know if the flotation is still intact or not, The weight definitely shifted, the one side we got hit by a 2 freak wakes One that rocked the boat right then left and as the port side was down we got hit by the second 3 foot wake that grabbed the boat, filled up with water and pulled us over…. won’t happen again, I corrected the steering, I never plan to have that much weight the boat again and will never go out on rough water again ….. 😐

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.