Ruddertwin Jugs

Home Forum Ask A Member Ruddertwin Jugs

This topic contains 37 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ian 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
    ian

Replies: 50
    Topics: 7

Boring or honing it out isn’t going to work, unless you are willing to get oversize pistons. It’s almost impossible to bore a hole and not remove material that you didn’t want to. The bore usually has taper and out of round to a small degree, really hard to dial it in perfectly, without taking a cut. I’m not saying it couldn’t be done, but it would be easier to remove the plating by hand, and not remove material that you want to keep. Fine sanding drums and take your time.

Anonymous

Replies: 251
    Topics: 33

Would something like this be of any use?
    Kirk

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05657994

chris-p
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2473
    Topics: 157

Raining out today, so had some time to work inside.

Got the jugs fixed up nice!

I ended up using a 2" non woven flap wheel on the end of a cordless drill. Worked perfectly. Just took off the plating, did not take material off the actual bore. Then ran a hone through quick to give a nice cross hatch, and called it a day. Measures in spec, so this old girl will be able to run again. I don’t like show ponies.

Few more pieces to polish up, I have to re attach the tags and decal to the tank, and rebuild the coil, and she is done.

fisherman6
    fisherman6
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1774
    Topics: 39

Great to hear that worked out Chris. Did you make it to Lockeman’s today? A QD-10 followed me home.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

chris-p
    Canada Member - 1 Year

No I was supposed to go. There was a group of guys from our Canadian chapter that made the trip down there. Wish I could have made it. Did get some work done however.

fisherman6
    fisherman6
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1774
    Topics: 39

It was a nice meet. I did see there were some Canadian chapter members there. Too bad you didn’t make it. At least you got some work done.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

ian

Where did you get the jugs plated? Tank too? I have to do my ruddertwin as well…

chris-p
    Canada Member - 1 Year

I got them done at Mayfair plating in Toronto.

ian

Thanks I’ll look them up. I have to figure out how to get the starter knob off the flywheel.

To me it looks like the flywheel nut, flywheel, tank and jugs were the bits nickel plated. Was there anything else?

Looks like the copper lines and bolts were zinc plated. Perhaps the bronze steering mount as well?

Was anything painted?

RICHARD A. WHITE
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1645
    Topics: 130

The starter knob is driven out from the bottom, ensure the driver is smaller than then screw. Flip the flywheel upside down leaving clearance for it to be driven down. When installing push the knob in from the top and use a ball peen hammer to "flare" the flange out to hold the know in place.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com

Tubs
    Tubs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2406
    Topics: 147

Here is a picture showing what Richard
    has described as to getting them out.
    The bottom pictures show what is inside
    and how they were put together.

Attachments:

--

chris-p
    Canada Member - 1 Year

Not sure if the transom screws would have been plated at all as well? I just polished mine and they turned out nice.

After paying for the tank, and jugs, I polished the rest! I am going to do my flywheel as well though, and nut. They don’t last long not plated. I told Wayne today I can bring the parts in for you guys as I am working nearby.

wbeaton
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 668
    Topics: 74

That is not how I expected the starter knob to be removed. Ian knocked it out tonight. Someone must have removed it once before as it came out with little effort.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

RICHARD A. WHITE
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1645
    Topics: 130

Tubs picture shows what happens when you logically think that it would unscrew… like I did the first time…lol Then I believe it was Chris Scratch that advised me on the proper way to remove them.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com

Tubs
    Tubs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2406
    Topics: 147

I learned how to get them out from Richard. I think
    everybody who wanted to take one out first tried to
    unscrew it. That’s what I did. The slot would seem
    to indicate that is how it was assembled. This part
    may have been designed on April first. 🙄

--

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.