Home Forum Ask A Member Scintilla Condensers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    goldmember
    Participant

Anyone know where I can find replacement condensers for my KE4 7.5 HP Scintilla?
      Part #399-123
      Sierra #18-5132

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

try ebay or joe poole or oldmercs.com. or make your own. gut the cond. and replace with a capasiter .

goldmember
        Participant

How would I do that?

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

call me 1 914 310 7086

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I used to use ones that came out of 140 hp Mercruiser stern drives. The engines I put them in ran fine. People really flog this condenser subject to death but my motto is, if it fits, it ships.

Long live American manufacturing!

joecb
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

According to reference info that I have your condenser (capacitor) 399-123 Scintilla is rated at .17 to .21 microfarads. You can use any capacitor in the size range. Modern electronic condensers work good. Or any of the Merc Scintilla mags use the same cap. , the Mark 20 about the most common. On the OMC side, the Big Twins 51 – 56 ( pt 171471) use .20 mf cap.
                Hope this helps

Joe B

seakaye12
                Participant

US Member

Like you have heard from others….you can use various caps that fit physically and have the right electrical specs. If you want to consider the solid-state capacitors that many of us have found to be superior in stability and longevity…here is a link to a popular source. This link is for 0.22uf but the same vendor has other choices as well.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/vishay-bc-components/MKP1839422084HQ/BC2609-ND/2260507

Or, stick to the original equipment variety available at numerous sources. Here’s one:

https://www.oldmercs.com/product_p/399-123.htm

Anonymous

I have just had a fresh order of them come in $3.90 each plus shipping myoldoutboard@aol.com Big Rich

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.