Home Forum Ask A Member Scott Atwater water pump article

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Reading the latest issue of the magazine which has a great article about SA water pumps. Gary OrlofF mentions that he got great pumping results with a 6 blade impeller. Unfortunately, he does not offer a part number for the impeller. Does anyone know the part number?

I am right in the middle of a restoration of a ’57 SA 7 1/2HP motor. Great timing on the article.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I was wondering the same thing. I have two 1956 7.5 hp “bailers” to work on some day.

Reading the latest issue of the magazine which has a great article about SA water pumps. Gary OrlofF mentions that he got great pumping results with a 6 blade impeller. Unfortunately, he does not offer a part number for the impeller. Does anyone know the part number?

I am right in the middle of a restoration of a ’57 SA 7 1/2HP motor. Great timing on the article.

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
        Participant

Here is the ’56 parts list.

Not meaning to find fault with Gary’s fine article, but in the interest of “Everybody has their way of doing it”, may I offer a tip? Don’t pull the powerhead, pull the exhaust housing. Remove the lower spring mount (two screws), and the reverse lock bail (couple of E-rings). Now remove the bunch of screws holding the powerhead to the exhaust housing and the whole exhaust housing will drop away. Works on high mounted Bailer pump motors right up to 33-40hp. Easy.

We were a Scott-Atwater service dealer back in “The Day”, so I had the pleasure of doing many of those pumps.

Powerhead-Support-3365-3765-3865

Buccaneer
          Participant

Thanks for the information and tips Frank. I’ve added it to my Scott folder
            for future use!

Prepare to be boarded!

huntleybill
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Frank. I went to ebay to look for the impeller. The part number listed on the parts breakdown shows a 10 blade impeller on ebay. Is there a different/updated part number? I didn’t find a lot of suppliers for Scotty parts. Do you know if there are suppliers that would have the impellers mentioned in the article?

frankr
              Participant

I don’t know anything about ten blade impellers for Scott. I suggest club member Bob Long for S/A reproduction impellers.
                http://home.earthlink.net/~flyingscott/

Mumbles
                Participant

Certain Honda six blade impellers will work in the 7.5’s and I do have a few of them here somewhere and if I can find them, I’ll post the Honda P/N.

If you do a search, you might find an old thread here on AAM which discussed using Honda impellers in the S/A motors.

huntleybill
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you for the info. This is great!

geary
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Guys,
                      Gary Orloff here, first of all thank you for your kind comments on my article on Scott Atwater cooling & bailing pumps.
                      The member I mentioned in the article ( John Hagerman ) got his impeller from Bob Long, Frank noted his Email address in his comment ! Bob’s impeller’s works great in both the cooling and bailing pumps if you actually need the bailer to work ! We didn’t use it in John’s motor and plugged the little hole that feeds water to the bailer as we didn’t feel it was needed for his aluminum boat.
                      With as much water as these pumps produce I don’t think it is really necessary to plug that hole !

One thing I didn’t mention was on starting a SA motor that hasn’t been used for a while, Priming the Pumps. Back in the 2015 April issue of “The Antique Outboarder” I wrote an article titled “What’s that Dimple for ? ”
                      Scott Atwater had a modification for their engines that was the installation of a flushing device if you ran the motor in salt water, but it was also a way to wet the pumps prior to starting them which helped the impellers to draw water up the suction tube. If you have a manual available you should be able to find the information on the flushing device and it’s installation ! If you don’t please feel free to contact me and I will get the information to you.

And Bill, stay away from the 10 blade impellers they don’t work ! Mumbles, it would be great if you could find those Honda impellers that can be used in a Scott Atwater and post their part number on this thread !

Thanks again guys

Gary

Buccaneer
                      Participant

I found this in my “Scott” notes. No idea if the Honda part number has
                        been verified as a working substitution for Scott impellers, or what
                        modifications, if any, would be necessary.
                        ======================
                        Postby Brian » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:39 am

I ran across this inexpensive, readily available Honda impeller that is supposed to fit the Scott Atwater Bail-A-Matic 7.5hp. Just passing along the info. Curious to find out if it works:

Honda 4-stroke 8hp 9.9hp BF8D BF9.9D
                        19210-ZW9-013
                        Number of Blades: 6
                        Plastic Hub
                        Height: 14.77mm
                        External Impeller Overall Diameter: 45.04mm
                        Internal Shaft Insert Diameter: 13.35mm
                        ==========================================

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.