Sea Gull 29 Four Cycle Photos?

Home Forum Ask A Member Sea Gull 29 Four Cycle Photos?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7495
    Topics: 1072

I seen an old ad on the back of an “Antique Outboarder” of the subject
    motor. I looked in my photo files and see I have no photos of that
    outboard. I do have a photo of a Sea Gull radial engine, but
    the “29” appears to be a conventional 2 cycle outboard, circa
    Would also enjoy knowing more about the history of these outboards.
    Internet searches bring no joy.
    Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

westwind

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 374
    Topics: 10

Did you contact Chris S? I think he has some info on the Detroiter and Seagull twin cyl 4 strokes.

Buccaneer

Did you contact Chris S? I think he has some info on the Detroiter and Seagull twin cyl 4 strokes.

No, but thanks for the information.

Prepare to be boarded!

pm-t2

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 516
    Topics: 44

The Seagull 29 you are asking about is actually a 1931-32 Cross Seagull, built by Cross Gear and Engine Works in Detroit, Mi. This twin outboard is not to be confused with the earlier 5-cylinder radial engine that Cross built starting in 1928.

The 29 was apparently the racing version that was advertised but likely never built. The ads depicted a motor that featured dual carburetors and dual exhaust stacks that vented out the back. None have apparently ever been found. I’ve heard rumours of parts of one existing, but so far its just a wild goose chase in the making.

The service version of the Cross Seagull was offered in 1931-32. It is a twin-cylinder opposed alternate-firing four-cycle engine that was rated at 25 HP in 1931, and downgraded to 20 HP in 1932. The 1932 version I had is what I consider to be one of the most beautiful big outboards I’ve ever owned. I’ve attached some pictures for your entertainment.

In 1933, Milton O. Cross retired and turned the business over to his sons, Milton Jr, and Ralph E Cross. At that point, CG&E made the decision to get out of the outboard motor manufacturing business, and concentrate on building precision machine tools. Years later, the tooling and leftover parts were sold to an organization that became known as the Detroit Outboard Products Corporation. They refined the old Cross Seagull slightly, and named it the Detroiter. It was offered for sale in 1940. It was rated as an 18 HP motor @ 3750 RPM. Although there are ads for 1941 models, including plans for a 5 and 10 HP version, it has never been proven that any Detroiter motors were available after 1940.

To date, there are only six (6) Detroiters that are known to exist. The lowest serial number Detroiter is #2, and the highest is #25, and I just happen to own both of them.

One of the more distinct features of the Cross Seagull/ Detroiter outboards is the gas tank with two caps on it. One section was for straight gasoline, the other for engine oil that was circulated through the upper main bearing, then through the rest of the inner parts of the crankcase, thence back to the tank via a clever scavenging system. Capacities were stated to be two gallons for gas, and two quarts for oil.

If you have questions, I’m happy to answer them.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    PM T2
    Cross Seagull/Detroiter Special Interest Group Leader since 2005.

pm-t2

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 516
    Topics: 44

Here are some pixels of Detroiter # 25. it took a lot of work to rebuild the crankcase, but it is now a running motor.

Buccaneer

Thanks Chris for the photos and history of the Cross / Detroiter outboards.
    In looking at the ad again on the magazine, I see now that it said “Utility” model,
    and that it has two caps on the fuel tank. It sounds like quite the ingenious oiling system it
    had….. perhaps a gravity flow “oil injection” with “anti-gravity” return!
    Very interesting, and a wonderful piece of your collection!

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw

Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

Those are some great looking motors. Beautiful restorations!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.