Home Forum Ask A Member Sea King coils

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jimk
    Participant

It looks like my options for coils are Sierra and china made. Is the Sierra worth the extra? From what I am finding the rubber boot wont fit over the plug wire so would it be ok to fill the gap with a sealant? Thanks again! Jim

frankr
      Participant

US Member

A lot of negative reports about Sierra coils have been received over the last couple of years. The problems concerned poor fit. It is unclear whether they have corrected the problems yet or not. Actually, I haven’t bought any at all since Jim Judkins discontinued selling German coils so I can’t report on the many Chinesium coils on the market now.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I have h heard the laminations on the Chinese coils are a poor fit, but the coils are good. Many are prying the coils off and putting them on the original OMC laminations.

Garry in Michigan

jimk
          Participant

Sounds as if they might be worth a try then for the cost. Its on a 1951 5 hp and it wont be used a lot just want to get it up and running. Ok to fill the gap where the rubber caps over the plug wires would go with a sealant then?

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Garry in Mich. My birth state Garry. Too many trees in Florida falling in your back yard? Anyway good to hear from the master, Jeff

On the coils ask what if I want to return them policy before spending any money. I ordered some lab pyrex vessels & they came in tiny pieces…..can’t build neon tubes with that!!
              Buyer beware

jcrigan
              Participant

You can use shrink tubing over the wires.

jimk
                Participant

You can use shrink tubing over the wires.

Thanks! Never would of thought of that!

lindy46
                  Participant

US Member
                    frankr
                    Participant

US Member

That is good to know. I assume they are the same ones Jim used to sell. I’ve used them with good results.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.