Home Forum Ask A Member Sea King GG9016A Crankshaft seal question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have the “Topic Title” motor that runs terrible. (it won’t idle well, or at all. Carb adjustments don’t seem to work as they should. It runs rough) I noticed while running this motor that the upper crank shaft is leaking (see attached picture of black oil).
      I have a gale service manual that cross references the GG9016A to 12D11. When I look at the exploded view of the 12D11 power head, there is no seal showing but instead it shows a. “Oil Slinger”. I also see no seal listed for the bottom of the crank shaft. The slinger does not seem to be substantial enough to seal crankcase pressure or am I wrong?

Can this oil slinger leaking cause the motor to run bad? Or, is this an indication the bushings for the crank are warn to the point it is not worth fixing. Maybe just replace the block????

Before I spend any more money on this motor, I figured I’d get your advice.
      Thank you
      Bill

thumbnail-9

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by huntleybill.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The slinger system was used on most omcs under 10hp and the gale 12hp and works very well. Any oil that escapes the bearing is thrown off and socked back down to the intake manifold go recycling. Of course if the return passage is blocked it won’t work. Same if the bearing is worn out. Considering the blackness of the oil, I doubt it is crankcase oil. More likely it is the result of over lubrication of the at!nature plate. No lower seal is used or needed on the 12d11

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you frank. When I reassembled the plate, I used a thin layer of marine grease. Just enough to lubricate it. If I am not mistaken, marine grease does not heat up and turn liquid. If that is the case, what is rinning down the motor? I assumed it was black due to possibly the motor running rich? Maybe?

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Sounds like you did right. I guess you will have to go back in. Worn out bearing or clogged return? If it is crankcase oil, is awfully black like washing down grease or something. Crankcase oil comes out clean as it exits the bearing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.