Home Forum Ask A Member Seaking 5hp impeller replacement.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    AnotherSteve
    Participant

Hello,
      I’m the proud owner of a Seaking 5hp. which I believe to be a 1964 or 65 vintage.
      Model GG18801A
      SN 36X882526

This mighty motor doesn’t seem to be pumping any water so since the intake port looks
      clear I figured I’d change the impeller. I believe on this motor the impeller is on the drive shaft
      as opposed to being behind the prop. I’ve read that the power head must be removed to do this as
      the drive shaft needs to be disconnected there so the lower unit can be dropped.

Is this so?

Thanks,
      Another Steve

Ah to be young and foolish again instead of old and still foolish.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

easy way to tell if it is on the prop shaft is if it is a shift motor it must be on the driveshaft….

Mumbles
        Participant

The powerhead needs to be removed so the shift linkage can be undone. The driveshaft will slide right out of the crankshaft .

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Your motor is a 1963

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Per reference source,,,GG18801A was 1963 Gale Division of OMC
              5 hp Gale Model 5D22B. Impeller is in leg/tower
              The more difficult it is to access impeller, the less likely that it has been
              checked or replaced. You are wise to put it at top of to do list.
              From what I can tell by looking at after market manual your Sea King
              is serviced about the same as other OMC 5hp of early 1960s.
              Louis

AnotherSteve
              Participant

frankr : Thanks. I was close.

dave-benard: It is indeed a shiftable model.

Mumbles: When doing research on pulling the power head I found reference to “seven screws”
                that would need to be removed. If the screw heads are located on the outside of the motor
                I’ve only been able to find four of them. Is there a handy dandy diagram that shows these screws?

Thanks

AnotherSteve
                Participant

Thanks green-thumbs.
                  Other than the impeller and filling the gearbox it’s ready to go.

Mumbles
                  Participant

Here’s the layout of the seven screws and the two 3/8″ brass nuts holding the shift rod on. There will be a small lock washer between the nuts.

IMGP0411

AnotherSteve
                    Participant

Thanks Mumbles!

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

Being a 1963, did the Sea King 5s have a thermostat like most of the Johnson/Evinrudes of that era?? If so, it won’t pump ,much for water until it warms up, and even then you may only see a spray discharging. Look and see if there is a thermostat housed on the cylinder head’
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 36 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.