Home Forum Ask A Member Seaking 5hp impeller replacement.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Fear not, those screws are not that difficult. You don’t need anything except an ordinary screwdriver of adequate size, going up through the proper space. I’ve done a bazillion of them.

AnotherSteve
      Participant

Ah yes. The ever illusive proper spaces. I’ll ponder the situation some more.

Ah to be young and foolish again instead of old and still foolish.

rmhxruss
        Participant

Ok now stop. One can cut the shift rod and install P/N 303794 connector1 ea, 301551 washer 2 ea, 304024 screw 2. ea. Expensive parts now. Just notch the rod for the screws. Common update back in the day.

AnotherSteve
          Participant

I won the battle of the seven screws. I imagine replacing them is a treat.
            The (six vane) impeller is very pliable and shows no cracks nor uneven wear.
            Not having a new one to compare with the used one I can’t say if it is serviceable,
            I’ll play it safe and get a new one but I do wonder if all of this was necessary.

AnotherSteve
            Participant

Of course one of the first fasteners I removed, a small circlip, now calls the garage floor home never to be seen again.

AnotherSteve
              Participant

Thanks rmhxuss. I wish I’d read your post before I pulled the head!

frankr
                Participant

Forcing you to remove the powerhead causes you to inspect the carbon seal assy, one of the biggest killers of the 5 / 5.5 / 7.5 motors. Of course people just slap it back together anyway, not realizing the importance.

AnotherSteve
                  Participant

Is the big gasket the carbon seal?

/

frankr
                    Participant

The carbon seal assembly

5.5-Carbon-Seal

5hp-Carbon-seal

AnotherSteve
                      Participant

What material is the seal made of?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.