Home Forum Ask A Member Seal Removal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

What’s the best or easiest way to remove the oil seal out of this base plate on my QD-20? I’ve seen other posts suggesting drilling holes on opposite sides of the seal face, screwing in some sheet metal screws then pulling on the screws. But thought I’d ask to see if there are other suggested ways of getting this out. This thing looks like it’s stuck tight.

05-Base-Plate-Removed

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

chris-p
      Participant

Standard Seal Puller will make quick work of it. Just be careful prying against the casting, it can break easily.

bobw
        Participant

Thanks, Chris. My seal puller kept tearing thru the metal face of the seal, so put some good heat on the casting with my torch, applied some PB Blaster around the seal edge and walked away. Went back in 30 minutes and it popped right out. Wanted to be cautious since breaking the housing is not an option – too pricey to replace one of those!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

outboardnut
          Participant

I have not used this yet
            Homemade slide hammer
            When I measured
            The use of two bolts will be too wide to fit in the hole of the seal.
            So am going to try with one bolt and move it around at various points.
            As you can see-I made the L shaped bolts out of a carriage bolt.
            If it don’t work -I think I will bite the bullet and buy a Pilot Bearing Pulling Attachment for slide hammer

20200215_085200

20200215_085233

20200215_085347

outboardnut
            Participant

more pictures

20200215_091524

20200215_091638

OTC4420

Mumbles
              Participant

Dang, I like that idea for a home made puller. Good one!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
                frankr
                Participant

Lucky enough to have a lathe? Or a buddy with a lathe? Grab the bearing hub in a 3-jaw chuck and cut the seal out. Less than 2 minutes and no damage.

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Help Garry!!!
                    I know some seals are glued in place. Did the correct way by heating to soften the bond. I forget the name of the glue but has been discussed here.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You are not alone, these seals are a royal pain in the butt…Slide hammer arrangements tend to just bend the seal lip out…Trying to drill through and thread a screw/puller arrangement usually doesn’t work either. Those large seal pullers will damage the delicate aluminum housing, so you have to be very careful…
                      You may want to consider removing the rubber from the seal just leaving the metal case in place. Heating and bending an old screwdriver sometimes works when driving it out with a hammer through the bottom of the housing…But, you must be careful to protect the bronze bushing while banging on the screwdriver that is passing through it….Perhaps slicing a bit of rubber hose and slipping it over the screwdriver shank will protect the bushing surface….
                      Those seals really aren’t glued in place, it is just a tight fit….

labrador-guy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is something you can try. Get out your tin snips or aviation shears. Cut the outer edge of the seal all the way around about 1/4 or 1/8″ wide. Bend the cut pieces up or slightly over to the housing. Use a small screwdriver and hammer to bend the seal in towards the center. If it bends just a little it will come right out. Once you weaken the top of the seal. It will shrink and you will be home free! I know clear as mud!

dale

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.