Seal Removal

Home Forum Ask A Member Seal Removal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • bobw
    bobw

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 785
    Topics: 33

What’s the best or easiest way to remove the oil seal out of this base plate on my QD-20? I’ve seen other posts suggesting drilling holes on opposite sides of the seal face, screwing in some sheet metal screws then pulling on the screws. But thought I’d ask to see if there are other suggested ways of getting this out. This thing looks like it’s stuck tight.

05-Base-Plate-Removed

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
    1956 Johnson RD-18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1959 Johnson QD-20

Attachments:
    chris-p

Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2484
    Topics: 157

Standard Seal Puller will make quick work of it. Just be careful prying against the casting, it can break easily.

bobw
    bobw

US Member - 1 Year

Thanks, Chris. My seal puller kept tearing thru the metal face of the seal, so put some good heat on the casting with my torch, applied some PB Blaster around the seal edge and walked away. Went back in 30 minutes and it popped right out. Wanted to be cautious since breaking the housing is not an option – too pricey to replace one of those!

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
    1956 Johnson RD-18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1959 Johnson QD-20

outboardnut
    outboardnut

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 587
    Topics: 414

I have not used this yet
    Homemade slide hammer
    When I measured
    The use of two bolts will be too wide to fit in the hole of the seal.
    So am going to try with one bolt and move it around at various points.
    As you can see-I made the L shaped bolts out of a carriage bolt.
    If it don’t work -I think I will bite the bullet and buy a Pilot Bearing Pulling Attachment for slide hammer

20200215_085200

20200215_085233

20200215_085347

Attachments:
    outboardnut
    outboardnut

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 587
    Topics: 414

more pictures

20200215_091524

20200215_091638

OTC4420

Attachments:
    Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4337
    Topics: 428

Dang, I like that idea for a home made puller. Good one!

• This reply was modified 4 days ago by MumblesMumbles.
    frankr
    frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4715
    Topics: 47

Lucky enough to have a lathe? Or a buddy with a lathe? Grab the bearing hub in a 3-jaw chuck and cut the seal out. Less than 2 minutes and no damage.

jeff-register

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1154
    Topics: 48

Help Garry!!!
    I know some seals are glued in place. Did the correct way by heating to soften the bond. I forget the name of the glue but has been discussed here.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2868
    Topics: 37

You are not alone, these seals are a royal pain in the butt…Slide hammer arrangements tend to just bend the seal lip out…Trying to drill through and thread a screw/puller arrangement usually doesn’t work either. Those large seal pullers will damage the delicate aluminum housing, so you have to be very careful…
    You may want to consider removing the rubber from the seal just leaving the metal case in place. Heating and bending an old screwdriver sometimes works when driving it out with a hammer through the bottom of the housing…But, you must be careful to protect the bronze bushing while banging on the screwdriver that is passing through it….Perhaps slicing a bit of rubber hose and slipping it over the screwdriver shank will protect the bushing surface….
    Those seals really aren’t glued in place, it is just a tight fit….

labrador-guy
    labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 270
    Topics: 31

Here is something you can try. Get out your tin snips or aviation shears. Cut the outer edge of the seal all the way around about 1/4 or 1/8″ wide. Bend the cut pieces up or slightly over to the housing. Use a small screwdriver and hammer to bend the seal in towards the center. If it bends just a little it will come right out. Once you weaken the top of the seal. It will shrink and you will be home free! I know clear as mud!

dale

bobw
    bobw

US Member - 1 Year

Fleetwin – I ended up doing just about what you described. I first pulled the rubber portion of the seal out leaving just the metal case. My seal puller was just tearing through the face of the case so I grabbed the top face with some pliers and pulled it inward toward the center of the hole, thereby collapsing the case inward away from the bore in the housing. After I got a small space between the bore and the seal case, I applied a little heat from the torch and some PB Blaster around the bore edge. After 30 minutes or so, gave it a little tug with the seal puller and it came right out. No damage to the housing, bore hole or bushing. Seal ended up being pretty torn up but who cares – it’s out!

IMG_6618

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
    1956 Johnson RD-18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1959 Johnson QD-20

Attachments:
    fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2868
    Topics: 37

Good work! Dave Bono made me a few seal pullers that work with a two piece collet that fits under the upper metal seal housing once the rubber is removed. There is a threaded bolt that draws the seal up into a cylinder….Works well, but even this sometime takes a few tries because the darn seal housing just bends upward allowing the collet to pop out….
    The only thing I am convinced of is that the slide hammer methods usually just end up bending the lip upwards until you have nothing left to work with…
    Those 10hp upper bushing seal assemblies are getting harder/more expensive to find, so I’m glad you saved it successfully…

Tubs
    Tubs

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2722
    Topics: 155

• This reply was modified 3 days, 3 hours ago by TubsTubs.
    frankr
    frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4715
    Topics: 47

I’ve done a bazillion seal removals as tubs shows above. Job is much easier done with a small cape chisel. Most people nowadays don’t even know what a cape chisel is

Cape-Chisel

• This reply was modified 2 days, 23 hours ago by frankrfrankr.
    Attachments:
    labrador-guy
    labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 270
    Topics: 31

Frank, nice looking chisel! That will loosen that puppy up! I gotta make one of those somehow.

dale

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.