Seal Removal

Home Forum Ask A Member Seal Removal

• This topic has 25 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by bobw.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)

• bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2447
    Topics: 56

Fleetwin – I ended up doing just about what you described. I first pulled the rubber portion of the seal out leaving just the metal case. My seal puller was just tearing through the face of the case so I grabbed the top face with some pliers and pulled it inward toward the center of the hole, thereby collapsing the case inward away from the bore in the housing. After I got a small space between the bore and the seal case, I applied a little heat from the torch and some PB Blaster around the bore edge. After 30 minutes or so, gave it a little tug with the seal puller and it came right out. No damage to the housing, bore hole or bushing. Seal ended up being pretty torn up but who cares – it’s out!

IMG_6618

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Good work! Dave Bono made me a few seal pullers that work with a two piece collet that fits under the upper metal seal housing once the rubber is removed. There is a threaded bolt that draws the seal up into a cylinder….Works well, but even this sometime takes a few tries because the darn seal housing just bends upward allowing the collet to pop out….
    The only thing I am convinced of is that the slide hammer methods usually just end up bending the lip upwards until you have nothing left to work with…
    Those 10hp upper bushing seal assemblies are getting harder/more expensive to find, so I’m glad you saved it successfully…

The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

I’ve done a bazillion seal removals as tubs shows above. Job is much easier done with a small cape chisel. Most people nowadays don’t even know what a cape chisel is

Cape-Chisel

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by frankr.

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1063
    Topics: 72

Frank, nice looking chisel! That will loosen that puppy up! I gotta make one of those somehow.

dale

frankr

You can more or less duplicate it by re-grinding the tip on a round drift punch..

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

You want real slippery… try Dupont Teflon spray for snow blowers it just soaks deep in cracks and would probably get the seal to be removed without to much pain

the stuff is made so the snow exits the snowblower quicker and prevent ice from sticking … (probably not available in Florida 🙂 ) but Amazon has it

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Snow-Ice-Repellant/dp/B07Q7DD2YC

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

OK, I’m not afraid to show my ignorance….That tool sure looks effective, but how do you use it on the seals???

frankr

As with any job, start by first standing back and evaluating the situation. Different seals, different installations etc. But whatever the case, the general procedure is to first attack the top of the seal at it’s outer rim, angling the cape chisel’s rounded cutting edge toward the center, and go around it like a can opener to cut the top off. Then going downward attack the outer shell of the seal to fold it inward as tubs is doing in his picture with a pointy punch. The rounded cape chisel is less likely to damage the seal bore in the part. Once it is folded inward it will almost fall out.

bobw

Replies: 2447
    Topics: 56

I started on the gearcase reseal job today only to find a crack in the seal housing. It’s not something that could be repaired with epoxy or JB Weld so unfortunately I’m on the search for a replacement housing, OMC part #377186. I put an ad over in the Classifieds but thought I’d post a note here as well. I know these plates can be hard to come by but if anybody has one they’d be willing to sell, contact me at rockportbob19@gmail.com.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.