Home Forum Ask A Member Seal Ring – lower unit – refurbishable ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    johnny-infl
    Participant

Is there any way to breathe new life into a lower unit Seal Ring for a 1960 Johnson 40hp ??
      The one on there now is probably the original and is partially collapsed and oil soaked.
      A long bath in hot soapy water ????

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Im not sure you can do anything to return it to its original form if that’s what you want to do? If you are sure it will be the last time you are going to be in there I have had good luck with "The Right Stuff" by Permatex. It’s an elastomer adhesive. It will fill in the voids and form a good bond. Oil, fuel, and ethanol resistant. BTW if you would like an exhaust snout I have one NOS. I bought a couple thinking they were for 9.5hp motors. I have a 40hp, but have no need for the other one. I would change that before I buttoned up that area.

Dan in TN

dave-bernard
        Participant

I am not a omc man but what if you flip it upside down?

johnny-infl
          Participant

Will try a few of the suggestions – – – hot soapy bath, flipping it over,
            then, as the last resort, gluing (sealing) it in place.
            I am pretty sure that with my careful overhaul of the gear case, this is the last
            time it will be opened for many years to come.

Thanks !!

elgin2
            Participant

If its oil-soaked its too late.

johnny-infl
              Participant

Just went and checked the seal ring more closely – – –
                even though there is a lot of surface oil on the ring,
                it does not appear to be "oil soaked" as I first thought.
                So a good washing in DAWN soap will be good enough for me.
                If that soap can save those baby ducks on TV, it can save my ring LOL.

Also, checked the exhaust tube and although it "appears" to be ok,
                I took it off and it is more brittle than soft with a hole on the underside
                that a person would not see unless they took it off . . . so it needs to be replaced.
                THANKS for the info on that !!
                Being a total green horn novice on the inner workings of an outboard,
                I would have missed this one for sure. Just brings to mind, CHECK EVERYTHING.
                Especially the soft goods.

Thanks again !!

johnny-infl
                Participant

is that little brass spring retainer really required ?
                  I have the rubber boot and spring but no retainer
                  as shown in the parts book. P/N 305349

dan-in-tn
                  Participant

I would think that the retainer would center one end of the spring if I understand it right. There is a retainer on Ebay with free shipping that might be a little cheaper than ME.

Dan in TN

johnny-infl
                    Participant

Dan, I was looking at how the rubber boot fits the case and
                      see that this brass bushing thing only keeps the boot centered
                      to the exhaust hole and directs all the gasses and water outside
                      the leg rather than have it flow down on to the seal ring.
                      I am thinking that a piece of PVC pipe flared on one end will do
                      the same thing. The spring will hold it all in the proper place.
                      will play with that idea over the weekend and get back to you.

jerry-ahrens
                      Participant

The exaust snout,spring and bushing are very important here. Any exaust gases that leak in this area could make it’s way up under the cowling, and be drawn into the carburetor, while the engine is running. The result will be your engine will idle poorly or not at all. Better fix it right and be done.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.