Home Forum Ask A Member Sealant for case

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hugh
    Participant

I know this has been asked many times , but I will be putting my JW17 3hp together next week and don’t want to make any mistakes. This is for the engine case halves. later this year I will be doing 2= 5.5 power heads, so I will make a note in my book

chris-p
      Participant

You will likely get a few answers here.

I personally use 3m847 from the dealer. Use for gearcases as well

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, you could use either the OMC type M or the OMC gel seal (along with Loctite/3M equivalents). The type M sealer is probably a little easier to use/less sensitive to prep that the gel seal, I just wish the type M came in smaller tubes for these small jobs. The gel seal works great but proper prep is necessary or it won’t work.
          Needless to say, you must spend some time making sure all the old sealer has been removed and there are no high spots (especially around threaded holes) prior to reassembly as well. Old sealer/high spots on the block will cause the halves to be "shimmed" apart slightly when reassembled creating crankcase leaks and sloppy crankshaft fit.

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

3M Scotchgrip 847 is part number 776964 from a dealer or 7509A65 from http://www.mcmaster.com. Much better price from McMaster.

hugh
            Participant

O K LOOK’S LIKE I HAVE WHAT I NEED. THANK’S FOR THE TIPS ALSO. I WILL CHECK THE SERFACE CARFULLY THIS LITTLE OUTBOARD IS GOING TO FILL A MUCH NEEDED JOB WITH THE LONG SHAFT ON IT. KICKER FOR MY ORLANDO CLIPPER.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.