Home Forum Ask A Member sealing a cork carb float.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    todd281
    Participant

I am working on a Neptune Mighty Mite motor and need to replace the bad carburetor float. I purchased a solid cork of the approximate size, shaped and drilled and have it ready to install. I have tried sealing with different types of products but alas not good results.

So far I have tried Instant glue[ albeit from the dollar store] let it dry for 24 hrs, only to submerge it and have it peal away. So do I need to switch to a “name brand glue” or perhaps let it cure?

Then I went to the air hobby store and bought Fuel proof Polyurathane for models. paintet it on , wait 24hrs, place in the gas and flaked off in 6 hrs. so now i have a bottle of that stuff in storage.

Next I tried different types of Loctite , blue ,red, green, again no success.

I have some red head shelack gasket sealer hear but from what I have read that will not work for ethanol treated gas.

I see some people used gas tank sealant or “por 15 paint with some success but I am hoping for a “use this stuff and it will work suggestion”

I would change the float to high density foam if i could find a place that sells the fuel proof type used in more moderen type carbs.

I thought about making one out of hollow brass and solder but I do not think my soldering skills[ or eyesight] would be up for that challenge.

So any ideas/ suggestions that have WORKED in the past Thanks in advance

oldemtr
      Participant

This is the stuff that most people say works well :

https://sigmfg.com/products/sig-supercoat-fuel-proof-dope-clear

outboardnut
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

following

The Boat House
          Participant

3 users thanked author for this post.
            squierka39
            Participant

Tubs, nice test. That was going to be my suggestion, leave it unposted it’s will float.

frankr
              Participant

todd, how much $ did you spend on all those potions? For about $6 you could have bought a Sierra 18-7208 (for Mercury) Nitrophyl float. You can cut, sand, drill, modify it as necessary, no sealing needed.

Sierra-float

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by frankr.
                • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by frankr.
                outboardnut
                Participant

For what its worth
                  I googled Nitrophyl Float
                  and came up with this
                  I could not find dimensions
                  I never tried to modifying Nitrophyl Float
                  https://www.jmesales.com/krueger-sentry-nitrophyl-float/?gclid=CjwKCAjw4871BRAjEiwAbxXi2zJr5oz2JDVNwZLpDw-Ex1gE0IPueceZQ8OoIXTWC2mBEfQKynh2-xoCZlYQAvD_BwE

amuller
                  Participant

I’ve been sealing my floats with POR-15, which I think is a polyurethane. But am not sure that leaving them bare might not be safer. I’ve seen foam floats get saturated, but not recently. Brass floats would be my preference but not easy to fabricate.

labrador-guy
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tubs, what do you think causes the float to look like an old prune after a few years?

todd281
                      Participant

Wow thanks for all the replies . Tubs your experiment speaks for itself, It makes me wonder why, if the cork did not need the coating ,why the OME ones had a coating [and replacements still do] I cant believe they would do that for no reason ,, hmmmm. Frank thanks for the part # I searched and searched but could not come up with one that I thought would work.You are a wealth of knowledge. I will check it out and most likely get one of the mercury floats. I have a few $s invested some of those chemicals some were left overs from other projects. Almost all of the research I have done so far has come up with some replies that are positive and some negative I hate to do anything twice so I was hoping for a hands down ,” use this stuff ” or a ID on what is on the replacement cork floats of today.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 37 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.