sealing a cork carb float.

Home Forum Ask A Member sealing a cork carb float.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 37 total)

• The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

aquasonic

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 634
    Topics: 42

perhaps the fungi is not growing on your samples because they are submerged, whereas a carb float wold be exposed to the atmosphere , moisture in the air , ect. [just a thought]

That’s a great point. Cork is a wood product, and is actually harvested from a layer of the cork tree bark. Cycles of wetting and drying speed the rate of wood decay due to fungus, making it punky. Perhaps cork is affected in a similar manner.

Regarding the super glue, or airplane dope coatings, they really need more than 24 Hours of curing time before exposure to gasoline. Some paint manufactures recommend at least 30 days curing time before exposure to gas and oil, and remember that these are single stage products. Sometime, I’d like to experiment with different curing times for these products prior to gasoline exposure.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by aquasonic.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

I have done a few float corks with the thick crazy glue . Althought I admit not openning up a repaired carb yet I can’t say I got negative feedback from the few people I sold oldies to.. 5.5, 7,5 10.0 , one or two 9.5 ….

no news is good news.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outboardnut

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 930
    Topics: 419

It would be nice to know who actually makes the carb rebuilding kit for OMC.And ask them what they coat the cork floats with..

need2fish

Replies: 281
    Topics: 15

Tubs — to side with member Jim: I have several 1930’s Johnsons (A, K, J, OK) where the floats were shellaced at the factory. About 2/3 of them have bouyant floats and I’m pretty sure they’ve never been re-treated.

The others are spongy, some slightly deformed, and sink when in fuel for more than a couple of days. It does appear some sort of fungus has got to them and has gone right through the shellac. I suspect the owners of the motors religiously drained the fuel every fall and the motors may have been kept in a damp environment with no fuel to cover the corks. My grandfather kept his (now mine) K-70 in our boathouse.

I put them in the oven at 150 for a couple of hours to evaporate the fuel (which probably kills the fungus), then coat them with Krazy Glue — for me, it doesn’t flake or crack and the floats can be put back into service immediately.

todd281

Replies: 120
    Topics: 52

Another thought is that maybe the fungi are in the cork and not the fuel. Has anyone ever tried balsa instead of cork? I ordered one of the Mercury floats that Frank suggested and will be using it but I would still like to have the answer for future reference when I can not find a “substitute ” float .

eviltwin

Replies: 98
    Topics: 5

removed – duplicate post site decided to spit out a day later and mangled.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by eviltwin.

The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

I don’t know much about cork fungi but I can attest to the fact that my paint brushes if left soaking in Varsol will grow a thick goo of cream colored mush over time …..critters live in petroleum 🙁

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by crosbyman.

eviltwin

Replies: 98
    Topics: 5

removed – another duplicate 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.