Home Forum Ask A Member Searching for 1967 Fastwin part for my rebuild

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Bergeron
    Participant

Looking for a 0325800 drive shaft for a 1957 fastwin model 15020. My existing is 26″ in lenght. There is wear at the lower unit seal and I am concerned about water entering.

bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have a spare 325800 but the splines on the crankshaft end are pretty chewed up. You might try Tim’s Outboard, Dan Gano at Ganotech or Pine Lake Parts.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Bruce Bergeron
        Participant

Thank you for the info.

Ed@deathwish-outboards
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I don’t have a lot of experience with this issue in Johnson or Evenrude motors but it is a common fail point in older Mercurys.

What I have done, helps if you have a metal lathe, is turn the seal surface to get it clean and relatively smooth. This is a hardened surface so you will want to go slow. Then drill and ream a piece of stainless tubing so your ID is 2-3 thousands undersize. Heat the tubing a little with a torch and drive it onto the shaft then turn and polish it to the original size. If there are notches or holes in the shaft that come into play You need to take measurements and make reference marks so you can locate them afterward.

If your shaft is not corroded or worn too much You might be able to put it in a lathe and just polish it with some fine sandpaper and crocus cloth. I would also look at cross referencing your seal and replacing it with one that has a double or triple lip.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a driveshaft but am pretty sure it is for a short shaft engine…Sounds like yours is a long shaft…

Bruce Bergeron
              Participant

Thank you all for the help. I was able to find the part I was looking for. This site is great.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.