Home Forum Ask A Member Separating Swivel Bracket from Front Exhaust Cover on 1959 Johnson 35 HP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    h20lew
    Participant

US Member

Hi Guys,

I’ve taken apart most of my 1959 Johnson Super Seahorse to paint and I’m down to this last piece. I’d like to separate the swivel bracket from the front exhaust cover. I can see a c-clip at the bottom of the swivel bracket and it looks like if i take out that clip the upper and lower bushings might drop out and allow me to separate the two parts.

The thing is, I’ve tried to pry and move that c-clip with a pick, punch and hammer, screwdriver, etc. and seems like it’s welded in there. It just won’t budge. I’ve thought about drilling it to separate it and getting a new c-clip – but don’t know if I want to go there. I can stop here and paint it, but it would be easier to clean and prep if I could break them apart. Any advice from someone that’s done this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

IMG_1822

IMG_1823

Screen-Shot-2020-07-04-at-9.27.47-AM

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Nah, you are barking up the wrong tree. Remove bolt # 96 and then swivel pin # 55 can be pulled up and out. Trouble is, in the vast majority of motors I’ve seen, bolt # 96 is broken off, making disassembly impossible.

PIVOT-PIN

h20lew
        Participant

US Member

Yes – I removed 55 and 96 already and thought that would do it… but it didn’t come apart after those were out even with gentle prying with a crowbar so then I figured the bushings were what was still stopping it from coming apart and I needed to do the clip. Glad to leave that clip alone. Is there a lip I need to lift it over or should it just slide out once 55 is out?

frankr
          Participant

US Member

I believe you can persuade it with a hammer from the bottom (where the circlip is) It’s been many moons since I’ve actually done it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.