Home Forum Ask A Member Setting V-4 points; correct starting point?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

Hey;
      Is the hand working on the “first” set of points, in the picture?
      It shows the distributor lined up with the first set of marks.
      Just double checking.
      Much thanks for everyone’s patience!
      Alan

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Alan.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

????You trust the photographer? Seriously, I think the hand is messing with the second set of points, but wouldn’t swear to it. In truth, only one set of points is ready to open at the timing mark, so that is the one to begin to open at that time.

Alan
        Participant

Thanks!
          This is the same genuine factory manual from 1967 that told me to back the low speed idle screws out 3/4 turn, so I do have trust issues.
          It doesn’t get exact, but says that the points, “opposite the condenser should be on the high lobe of the cam.”
          So I would be setting the points which are just breaking, not the ones sitting on the high lobe. Let me know if that ain’t right.
          I hope it is, ’cause it went together easily this way, and is, (I hope) all set.
          Time to take it to the lake and run my test wheel.
          Appreciated.
          Alan

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Now you are getting me confused. Are you setting them with a light or meter? Or are you setting them by gap?

If by light or meter, you set the ones that are just about to break when marks align

OR, if you are setting the by gap, you set them to open 0.020″ at highest point on cam

Don’t confuse yourself by trying to use both methods.

Alan
            Participant

No gap. I’m using a multi-meter, roping the motor around watching for the points to break continuity,

The manual goes through the process, but doesn’t specify which set to start with. As you say, I set the ones which broke when the marks aligned, not the ones which were at a / the high point. My fumbling suggested it’s not possible to get them adjusted correctly, if you start with the wrong set. Even if you try for hours, in the sun.

I tried using a feeler gauge at first, but that never worked for me. I think, after years, I figured out why. The cam lobe isn’t really rectangular. Two of the corners are the “high points”, and two are lower. A bit slow I am, but have found roping it around to work well. I set the feeler gauge down a while back.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.