Home Forum Ask A Member Shift Lever

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

That is what I would think as well next. I just had one. Changed from a long shaft, to short shaft, and the guy used the wrong shift rod in the gearcase. There are a few, some that are very close, but will not work. Less likely but happens, especially If you know it used to be a long shaft motor.

necks
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Gentlemen, I am guessing that has to be where the problem is at. I will dig into this project this weekend, hopefully something simple. Will let you know what I found out. Thanks, Gene.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The confusing part for me is that the original shift lever was properly bolted up and worked fine. Now, if this replacement shift lever is the same, what could have changed?

necks
          Participant

Fleetwin, The reason I took the original shift arm off, the slot was broken, half of slot was gone. They had it jerry rigged with a couple pieces of metal, and it sat cocked in the position you see in the picture, with 1/4-20 bolt hole stripped out. So when I took it off to replace shift arm, the arm and pieces fell to the floor. It did work good being in that position, I don’t know how long it would have lasted. Apparently, the other person had a problem with it, the way they had it put together. So now its time to figure out why that shift arm doesn’t line up.

necks
            Participant

I took lower unit off last night, checked and measured everything, comparing it to the long shaft conversion kit that I have for the RD-19. Everything appears the same. I don’t see anything out of place. Shift coupler same length and fits into correct grooves of shift shaft. Manually shift gears, no binding shifts fine. Should I take gearcase apart, to see if something is out of place? Is it possible that shift rod is to short, or to long? Is there a dimension, or a certain length this shift shaft is? Thanks Gene.

necks
              Participant

Does anybody know the correct length of shift rod on this motor, between short shaft and long shaft? Nice to know length of shaft before I take apart gear case. Coupler spacing between holes is 5 1/2", same as longshaft coupler. I can’t remember changing shift rod on the 10hp Johnson that I converted to a longshaft, other than driveshaft and coupler, and extension. Any help? Thanks, Gene.

chris-p
                Participant

Your gap between holes on your shift rod coupler is 5.5"? And is a short shaft motor?

chris-p
                  Participant

What does the detent look like? Home made, or factory?

Ill bet someone converted from long shaft, and instead of swapping shift rods, cut down the factory one, but cut it down incorrectly, then kept the long shaft coupler, as they did not have the proper parts. Hence the cobble job you found at the shift handle.

necks
                    Participant

Chris P, As far as I know they only had 2 connectors, for short shaft motors short, and long shaft motors 5.5" longer. The shift rod on motor now appear to be factory notches, or detents. I can easily pull gearcase apart, remvove shift rod, the problem is I have nothing to compare it with. I wouldn’t doubt that could have been replaced at one time. I wonder if someone knows the difference in length, if any. I have a strong feeling that could be the problem. Thanks Gene.

retiredoz
                      Participant

I may not be reading it correctly but according to marineengine.com, the lower shift rod is unique to the ’57 (RD-19). So if the lower unit is off a different model year, I assume that might prove problematic. From ’58 on it lists a different lower shift rod..

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.