Home Forum Ask A Member Shift rod seal removal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    john8504
    Participant

This little motor seems to be plaguing me with either obsolete parts or no how-to information. I hfoubd my shift rod seal and am attempting to replace, however I can’t find any info on the correct way to do this since I am unable to remove the boot without destroying it.

Attachments:

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Post the year, make and model, and maybe someone call tell you.

Prepare to be boarded!

john8504
        Participant

1974 ted Williams 15hp 217-58760

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I am not familiar with that model but will venture that it will require the complete dis-assembly of the gearcase and removal of the shift rod in order to remove and replace the seal. . . 🙂

john8504
            Participant

I didn’t get it out,however the shift rod boot requires replacement and I cannot find a replacement. Any ideas on where I can find a suitable replacement or different bushing to replace it with?

Correction: I saw my typo. I did get it out*

rjoynt
              Participant

US Member

Just my two cents, but would this be a good candidate for grease instead of oil? Unless it’s a daily runner, maybe that’s the reasonable path?

john8504
                Participant

It is going to be in use as my main unit. I have older more collectible motors that I have packed with grease.

rco
                  Participant

There are very similar boots on clutch and shift cables on ATV’s and dirt bikes. I have used them with good results on outboard shift shafts. I had them "in stock" but I would think you could find them online for a couple bucks.

john8504
                    Participant

The only concern I see is that the bottom is a metal fitting that’s covered in rubber that is pressed in. Even if I don’t get the boot, I would like to see about the fitting that presses into the lower unit. It seems like it helps to stabilize the rod. I’ll take a pick of the lower unit when I get home and add a pic. The boot fitting is larger than the oil seal.

Another thought. The old fitting is not scored up but the rubbed is torn off. Is there a way to re-rubberized it?

john8504
                      Participant

Going to attempt to use gear casing rtv to rebuild the rubberized part of the old part and then drill it out to fit the shift rod.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.