Home Forum Ask A Member Shift rod seal removal

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
      quote RCO:

There are very similar boots on clutch and shift cables on ATV’s and dirt bikes. I have used them with good results on outboard shift shafts. I had them “in stock” but I would think you could find them online for a couple bucks.

Ah hem, did anybody read this guy’s post? It sounds like you might want to at least ask about it some more….

Long live American manufacturing!

jerry-ahrens
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Mercury and Force outboards used a similar boot. Does the boot go through the top of the housing?

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Ok, I looked at your wanted ad, and understand now. It looks like that is specially made for that motor.

john8504
          Participant

Yeah it’s a hard part to find and I’ve looked at other engines also. Yes i do believe it is made specifically for this motor.
            I did find this article but I do not have the equipment to machine a part.

Attachments:

john8504
            Participant

I ended up modifying a nylon spacer to fit and it seems to be a nice fit.

Now I found another bad seal, however I’m unsure of how to get this one out. Under the water pump plate is a plastic piece and a seal under that, in which I’m trying to get to. The only problem is that I do not know how to remove this piece. In the manual, it looks like it could unscrew but to no avail on that venture.
              Has anyone seen this or know how to remove it?

Attachments:

david-bartlett
              Participant

John,

Looking at your picture the plastic piece might screw into place. Hard to see and I admit I have no experience with that motor. Is there a matching notch 180 degrees opposite the one I can see? If so then some sort of spanner tool might spin it out.

Just guessing here.

john8504
                Participant

Yes there is a matching notch on the other side. I’ll see if it can make a tool and try that

vtfireman85
                  Participant

https://www.applied.com/
                    These people could potentially help you. You’ll need a caliper for measuring but I am always amazed. These obsolete seals and bearings, they can usually find me a suitable replacement by size rather than specific applications

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.