Shock absorber length

Home Forum Ask A Member Shock absorber length

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• wedgie

Replies: 1041
    Topics: 78

The shock from a ’57 Fleetwin I am looking at now is a hair under 6 13/16 ths . Is that acceptable? From what I have read here it should be around 6 11/16ths, but doesn’t show any signs of blueing in the washer area. I suppose if it wasn’t run much after the spring breaking, it wouldn’t have sustained any heat damage. 🙄

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

6 11/16 is a good number. I had one yesterday which was starting to rub at 6 3/4 and after I pressed it down it measured 6 5/8.

It seems these things wind up when the prop hits something hard and they release. Pressing them back to size seems to work and I think I’ve only seen one where the spring was actually broken. That’s where the brazing comes in handy.

wedgie

The one I have is 6 13/16ths . I should I put a bar clamp on it and give it a squeeze then?

Mumbles

Yup. Give it a try!

I’m not positive but I think I’ve beaten one back to size in the past!

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Yeah, if the spring isn’t broken put it in a padded vise (or substitute) and whack it with a hammer. BTW, if you clean out the hole real good, you can get it out in the bright sunlight and peer in there and see if the spring is broken (usually).

1946zephyr

Replies: 653
    Topics: 12

While you have it apart, I would have it tack welded in 4 areas around where the pieces go together, that way you won’t have any further issues. 😎

Mumbles

quote 1946Zephyr:

While you have it apart, I would have it tack welded in 4 areas around where the pieces go together, that way you won’t have any further issues. 😎

The only problem then is he’ll be breaking prop blades or gears when he uses the motor for digging clams in the shallows!

wedgie

quote Mumbles:

quote 1946Zephyr:

The only problem then is he’ll be breaking prop blades or gears when he uses the motor for digging clams in the shallows!

What if I use a real soft drive pin like a bamboo kebab skewer cut to length 😆 😉
    We’re not allowed to dig for clams locally. Red tide (yeah right) for as long as I can remember ,but that doesn’t stop some of the "non fluent in English" types from of filling their boots. 👿 They seldom get nabbed due to cutbacks in the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. But I digress…

I did manage to squeeze it back to 6 11/16ths at work where they have a big enough vise. Thought it might be better than pounding on it. I didn’t take the time to clean it out really well as Frank suggested, so I couldn’t see well enough if the spring is broken or not. Will do that tomorrow at lunch.

1946zephyr

Replies: 653
    Topics: 12

Actually, this tack weld practice is quite common on these and has been suggested. The shock absorber often times comes unglued and grenades the upper bearing out. Ouch! Ugly deal, because those upper bearing assemblies are grossly expensive. :-O
    Then again, I know you two guys are just being funny. :-D. Good one 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.