Home Forum Ask A Member Shorty Scott Lower unit

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    fastjohn
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How do I disconnect the shift rod so I can remove the lower unit?

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Which Scott is this ?

fastjohn
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I thought everyone knew what a "shorty Scott" was. There were thousands of these motors sold under a number of brand names. I found the info I needed on a different site.

dave-bernard
          Participant

if I remember right there is a long nut with 2 jam nuts that must be taken off. it is the shift rod adjustment.

fastjohn
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The solution is that the powerhead has to be removed to access the shift rod linkage in the mid-section—told to me by a Scott expert.

retiredoz
              Participant

Which is what a lot of us could have told you if we knew which Scott you were playing with..

fastjohn
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It is hard to believe you do not know what a "shorty Scott" is if you have been working on motors for a while. I asked a few other guys this same question and they knew right away which motor I was talking about.

retiredoz
                  Participant

Puts you one up. You know something I don’t. There, doesn’t that make you feel soooo much better ?

phil-b
                    Participant

A term I’ve heard before is "fishing scott"

From the collection of the son of the president of the "yankee chapter":
                      http://www.oddjobmotors.com/pieratmotorsmotors.htm

jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have never heard the term "Shorty Scott" either, maybe the low profile fishing Scott motor? I have never been inside of them if my guess is correct.
                        The older 50’s Scott-Atwater & Firestones have a round nut with a collar which engages into the shift dog on a threaded shaft. As the shaft is moved up or downit moves the shift dog on either the prop-shaft or D-shaft[ to engage F.N.R pattern. The vertical shaft directly engages the shift dog for simple linkage. The earliier design has clevis assembly on the upper shift shaft to actuate the S-rod up & down directly into the prop shaft inner shift tube that fits inside the prop shaft much like Mercury or OMC that moves the dog to shift. Other later models have a clevis directly under the motor that must be disconnected in order to remove the powerhead for replacing the waterpump impellers as they are directly above the gearcase like the Mercury Mark 28, The impeller is above the gearcase like any OMC as well. in my gatherings./size]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.