silly but need to know

Home Forum Ask A Member silly but need to know

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

• crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

the main bolt (PART #1) on the handle grip of my 1959 5.5 hp will not go all the way in ????? about 1/4 inch sticks out

shift rod threads are ok bolt threads perfectly good but when I line up the shift rod in the handle the bolt goes in fine… lines up perfectly threads in smooth but all of a sudden the last 1/4 inch won’t go in

I see no obstructions … yet the bolt will not insert flush in the handle 🙁

if this keeps up i’ll retap the shift rod and use a shorter bolt to secure the handle….which I don’t like because it was in there at the start when I took the cracked shifter handle of the motor to fix it

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

That screw is a special thread not found in your everyday tap and die set. 12-28 if I remember correctly and I had to order mine from a tool company.

seakaye12

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 1117
    Topics: 108

Crosbyman! That PDF is cool! How do you make a PDF from a scrollable web-page like that? A browser plug-in of some sort?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

all I did was go on marine.com and do a print of each sub section (ex: carb, gearcase, cowl, tank etc…) and printed the section (CTL P)

when you print something Windows offers to send the print to a known printer and /or………… a PDF file

select PDf and away it goes

I store the file like any other jpg, pdf etc.…

now what about my silly 12/28 bolt ????

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Those rods are very easy to cross-thread. Never mind how I know. You might get lucky and run the screw in from the opposite side to straighten the threads,, then put it together with great care not to cross-thread it again.

I would have guessed it is a 12-24 screw, but dunno just off hand.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

12/28 measured it threads are not damaged and fit fine if I do not install the handle ??

the bolt screws all the way in the rod’s threads but when I line up the hole in the handle with the hole in the rod the bolts only threads until .25 inches do not go in ?? like I said it is silly because I can poke a stick all the way in longer than the bolt yet I hit no obstructions but the blot won’t go all the way ???

patience brings joy i’ll try tonight with a new mindset

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

ok getting mad here….

anybody know how long that silly bolt is… or needs to be … my hacksaw and tap set are waiting 🙁

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by crosbyman.

bobw

Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

Happen to have a tiller apart right now. Screw #305001, same as yours and mine measures out 7/8″ total thread length.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

ok i’ll check it out a.m. first thing thanks

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

Took me awhile to come up to speed on this as “shift handle” kept being referenced. So you are replacing a broken THROTTLE handle? That’s the only new part? Is it the same part as the one it is replacing? Why do I seem to remember that some of those screws are longer than others, because some go all the way through the throttle shaft into the other side of the handle, whereas others only just are long enough to go into the shaft itself?

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by billw.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.