Home Forum Ask A Member Single hose fuel connector for OMC – oring replace?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Note that the NAPA (Sierra) 18-7111 for 301824 is wrong. It is too fat

amuller
      Participant

Well, thanks. Looks like there are three numbers: 334913, 303598, and 331380. Dimensionally they are given as the same, so maybe a material or hardness (durometer) difference? Plus there is the Sierra number 18-7150. These don’t seem to correspond to any standard industrial size, which must be the reason they are expensive, like $2 + /per each?

amuller
        Participant

I think there is confusion here between the tank valve parts and the connector parts, even though the heading clearly says "Single hose fuel connector…."

In any case, the fuel connector O ring is called a quad ring, which is something with a square section, on Marineengine.

They list two: 307858 for $1, and 322488 for $4. Both are OMC numbers, of course. Anybody know the difference?

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
            quote amuller:

I think there is confusion here between the tank valve parts and the connector parts, even though the heading clearly says “Single hose fuel connector….”

In any case, the fuel connector O ring is called a quad ring, which is something with a square section, on Marineengine.

They list two: 307858 for $1, and 322488 for $4. Both are OMC numbers, of course. Anybody know the difference?

What parts list shows quad rings? I guess I’m too old and haven’t seen them in fuel connectors. Not a bad idea though.

amuller
            Participant

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … =Fuel+Tank

Items #20. I’m going to pull out some rings from old connectors today and take a look.

dougs-outboards
              Participant

Amuller,

Just throwing this in for info, as I just found out about it a couple of weeks ago. Had a customers 9.5 Ev in as it would not stay running. Did my usual look over, and found an old single ine fuel connector o ring, motor side. He had the old dreaded grey Sierra hose. A nice member and friend sent me a few OMC "O" rings, but were too big, mighta been Sierra, dunno, but he got them from an OMC dealer. Out of desperation I tried a McMaster Carr double line o ring and it worked perfectly. Installed easily, sealed on the motor and off the motor (no leaks), tried the hose on and off several times and he reports success.

Dunno if these type of double line o rings will work with an OMC single line connector, but sure did with the Sierra type. You might try one if you have one.

If you need a few, let me know, we’ll set ya up.

Doug

outboardrepair1 @ gmail .com

amuller
                Participant

Thanks for the info. I would like some to try. Do you have the McMaster catalog info?

These OMC tanks/lines have a lot of little bits that can act up.

I’m thinking it might make sense to use a translucent vinyl line between the motor connector and the pump so as to be able to see bubbles from leaks on the suction side. What do you think?

Alan

dougs-outboards
                  Participant

Alan,

Ok simply email me and I will send you some. I do not have the MC info. I ran across a post from Frank a couple of years ago, and he had the info posted, so I bit, glad I did too.

outboardrepair1 @ gmail .com (scoot together).

I would have PM’d you, but alas, since I am not an actual member I cannot PM Yous guys. They changed that about a year ago.

The vinyl hose thing? Might be helpful to see what’s going on. A lot of times you can listen, or see leaks around the o ring area. Let us know how it goes if you try it ok?

These o rings worked in the Sierra connector, didn’t try in the OMC connectors yet, so you can be the guinna pig for us and let us know if you would be so kind.

Doug

amuller
                    Participant

I have a few connectors around, but it’s not obvious who made them. I’ll look more closely.

Alan

amuller
                      Participant

I measured a few and the male part on the double line connectors is about 0.215″

The diameter for the single line connectors is about 0.245.

According to the NAPA/OMB chart posted above: 303598 has an ID of .225, 301824 has an ID of .197. but a -107 ring has an ID of 7/32 which corresponds to 0.219.

A metric 3 x 5 is close but not identical.

More than enough to confuse me.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.