Small Chrysler outboards?

Home Forum Ask A Member Small Chrysler outboards?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• shoestringmariner

Replies: 258
    Topics: 53

I’ve got the opportunity to trade 2 of my non runners for a running 8hp Chrysler. I see parts are scarce on these, and discussions even scarcer?
    I like the clean lines (this is an early 70’s) and wonder what they are like to work on, their reliability etc.
    I’m looking for a good, no nonsense easy to maintain motor as a kicker and to run a 12′ tinny on camping trips.

any good, bad, ugly about them?

Ken Smith

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 67
    Topics: 15

I’ve had a couple over the years and found them pretty reliable once you get them running. The recoils on those are wonky but if you don’t strong arm them on every pull you should be all right. Parts are still out there but getting scarce. Sierra is still making common parts like points and condensers last I looked. All in all good motors in my experience. good luck!

www.kenadianoutboards.com

shoestringmariner

excellent, thanks

amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163

These motors originated with West Bend. Chrysler bought the West Bend outboard business around 1965, and it eventually ended up in the hands of Mercury, so there is still some support available, though not as much as for OMC products.

My experience is that ignition parts (usually, originally Wico) impellers, and lower unit seal kits are available. It is possible to use OMC coils on these motors.

Pay attention to the gearcase. In many cases the bearing/seal is retained by a snap ring and if this is not fully seated things can come apart.

As mentioned, the plastic starter pinion is a weak point. They can break at the top of the helical groove. The return spring inside the spindle is another point to pay attention to. So treat the starter gently, make sure the rope start sheave is on top of the flywheel, and carry a starter rope.

The fuel pump is simple and easily overhauled.

Overall, I think you will be happy with the Chrysler if you are willing to learn its needs.

bayham3261

Replies: 52
    Topics: 10

I have a chrysler made 1970 Viking 9.6hp… nice engine. I had to replace the plastic starter pinion like most. I noticed the replacement has reinforced plastic in the area that usually breaks. Hopefully it lasts longer. My youngest son thinks it looks like a mall food court garbage can complete with tray on top! I wouldn’t say it was the prettiest thing…

A little information is a dangerous thing!

shoestringmariner

Thanks guys. Actually, I kind of like the Chrysler styling. Crisp, clean shaved look. Nice colours. I like clean lines. 1980-87 gm trucks and the 15’s to-18’s. Etc

bayham3261

Replies: 52
    Topics: 10

I should have qualified that the viking 9.6 is not styled like most clean white Chryslers… more an acquired taste

A little information is a dangerous thing!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.