So I got it running, but not well

Home Forum Ask A Member So I got it running, but not well

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

• shoestringmariner

Replies: 258
    Topics: 53

I got my TN-28 back together. It’s my first outboard ever, classic or not. I went through the carb, doped the float and reassembled. No drips from the primer or the carb anywhere. The coils were baked, so I replaced those and cleaned the points. Getting it running was not as easy as I expected, nor did it run more than a few seconds before flooding out. I tried tweaking the low speed, high speed, priming,,,nothing could get it running more than a cough or a brief few seconds.

I suspected the fuel as it was 6 month old (premium with stabilizer) and I think I mixed too rich (small batch in paint cup), so I dumped it and started out with new premium and a more careful mix, perhaps even on the leaner side. I put new plugs in it and finally got it running. At first it would only start out of the tank and barely run. It would die as soon as I tipped it in the water. Then after setting the low speed to 5/8 or 3/4 open, it ran and stayed running. There was a lot of backfiring through this y shaped fuel manifold type thing attached to the crankcase, like a shot of compressed air. It seemed to do this more when in neutral as opposed to in gear.

No matter what I did, I could not get this motor to really rev. I don’t know if it is running on one cyl or not. It would idle somewhat low with a few misses here and there, and run full throttle but not revving at all like this vid (this is a vid of a TN26). Nothing I did with the high speed idle made any difference unless I closed it completely.

Any thoughts?

david-bartlett

Replies: 1204
    Topics: 97

Some good info here on these motors if you have not seen it before.

http://pochefamily.org/outboard/

beerman57

Replies: 596
    Topics: 126

You mention other ignition parts, you did condensers too, right? They are very cheap ignition parts, but usually work / or not work.

shoestringmariner

Thanks Guys, did not replace the condensers yet.

ddoyle

Replies: 55
    Topics: 8

For sure condensers. It will give another chance to check points, connections etc.

Stick in there be patient. As long as there is compression and no gapping leaks in the crank case it will eventually run and bring joy.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

You don’t need premium gas in that motor! Good old regular will get the job done.

shoestringmariner

Thanks again guys.

Mumbles, I switched to premium for all my small engines a while back because of the ethanol content in regular. I found it was giving me problems over time

The compression is between 60 & 70, but I’m uncertain if that is the true value because I had to add extra o-rings due to the length of my tester’s threaded section (too long). I’m going to replace points, condensers and wires for good measure.

shoestringmariner

I was just messing with it again. Got the sneezing to stop, and running pretty well, to the point of starting first pull every time. Did not want to stay running at first, had to keep pumping the primer repeatedly until it ran on its own at first.

Then after about 20 minutes, this grey spooge started oozing out at the pivot stem(?) http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/…pslclttuww.jpg
    http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/…ps6vassm5r.jpg

Lower shaft seal issue?

marvk

Replies: 56
    Topics: 12

Couldn’t open the pics, but if it’s what I think it is, mine does the same thing. I believe someone here told me that some of the unburned oil is re-directed to the pivot shaft for extra lubrication.

david-bartlett

Replies: 1204
    Topics: 97

If the oil in the lower unit looks ok, it is probably the unburned fuel/cooling water mixture.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.