Home Forum Ask A Member Soldering iron

• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by r-c.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    stanley
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

New member and new to out boards,I’ve got a question every day at least.Todays is:What kind of soldering iron do I need to solder plug wires to coils etc.?

phil
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A pistol grip Weller type with a 2 stage trigger 100/140 watt, covers a lot of outboard uses.
        I also have a small 30 watt pencil style one for fine work, as well as a propane torch with soldering end attachment for more heat like soldering non-aluminum (steel or brass) fuel tanks etc.

http://www.omc-boats.org
        http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

chinewalker
        Participant

US Member

I prefer a bit more wattage in my solder gun – I have a Weller D550, 260/200 watt. Makes quick work of most solder jobs.

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

And a word of caution is due… Many here will give serious warning about soldering to the secondary (spark) terminals of a coil. This may destroy the coil. If "hole" tabs are present, it is only necessary to hook the tinned spark plug wire to the tab, then give the wire hook a little squeeze with ling nose pliers.

Joe B

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I prefer to solder directly to the coil. Using a nice hot soldering iron will get the heat where you want it quickly without heating the coil and damaging it. Like the others I have a dual wattage soldering iron (200/260) and a 30W soldering pen. I seldom use the pen.

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

I use a 30 watt soldering Iron (Pen?) If the old wire was well soldered, I cut the wire leaving the solder on the coil. The new wire is trimmed to fit with the insolation cut back on the end. This is cleaned and a little flux added making it easy to tin. The wire is bent in the shape it will be on installation. That way you don’t have to hold it to solder it, and after soldering there will be no strain on the fine wire in the coil. The only heat needed is just enough to melt the two blobs of solder together, and 30 watts is enough for me.

. . . . . . 😉

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Yes, that is true if there is already solder on the coil. You raise a good point that wasn’t mentioned, it always works best to tin both connecting points before attempting to solder them together. 30W and a good clean tip will solder most small wires, but it does require more contact time which may result in the heat penetrating deeper into the coil causing damage. I doubt it would really cause an issue, however it does have the potential.

Soldering pen is another name for a small pointed soldering iron like the type used for circuit boards.

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

r-c
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Good advise by all. I like the pencil iron maybe from my experience with HO train days. Clean the end by drawing across a damp towel or if a lot of build up, a fine file. Not mentioned was not to use an acid flux core solder as the acid will work into your coil and destroy the internals. Also use a thin solder like 1/16".

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.