Home Forum Ask A Member Some Pictures of my first old outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    wyo307
    Participant

Hello all,
      As some of you may know I recently was given a 1947 Evinrude Sporstman 2hp model 4416. I thought that I would take some time to share the progress that I have made with this little motor and say thank you to everyone who has helped with all of my questions thus far.
      This first picture is how I found it laying in the back of an old boat covered in leaves and dirt. Luckily being up here in Wyoming we have very low humidity so there was almost no rust to be spoken of.

It sat there for about a year after I discovered it before I finally brought it home and put it on the stand. As you can see it was in pretty rough shape with a lot of the parts either missing or replaced by the incorrect ones over the years.

I tore into this thing not really knowing what to expect but being an engineer I enjoy working on things like this so I figured it would be a good hobby. This next picture is of the lower unit after I had removed it and taken the prop off. There was about 30ft of old fishing line wrapped around the shaft and the lower unit itself was extremely dirty not rusted just dirty.

This shows all the pieces laid out as I was starting to put them back together. I had already reassembled the clamp bracket, tiller handle, lower unit, ect.

Now these next two pictures are of the motor about 90% assembled. Amazing what a little elbow greese can do for a motor. I cleaned every part by hand (I don’t have a parts washer) before I put it back together and it really doesn’t look bad the way it is now. So now the big question do I go ahead and paint it back to the original look or do I leave it the way it is? I also am waiting on a few more parts to arrive from Doug Penn so that the recoil starter will work as well as some miscellaneous parts/hardware here or there.

I was able to put it in a test tank over the weekend and she fired up and ran ok for a while after five or so pulls. I will try to get a short video of that up shortly for you all to see. That however reveled a problem in the carb with the float but with some help from members of this site I got that sorted out and she is running much better now. Overall I have really enjoyed this little motor and I don’t think that it will be my last!

r-delawter
      Participant

Very nice write up and I sure enjoyed the pictures. Will be watching for the video.

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Not one thing, short of being a father, has given me more satisfaction of accomplishing something than reviving an old outboard.

Good job, congrats and Welcome to the addiction 🙂

Regards

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

r-delawter
          Participant

Even my wife thanks it is a good addiction ( for me ).

mike-stroz
            Participant

Congratulations, that’s a nice looking motor. I don’t think I would paint it, it shows its age and looks good the way it is right now.

Steve D
              Participant

It’s amazing that there was no rust on it! Nice job tearing it apart and cleaning it too. The fact that it fired is encouraging. Looking forward to the video. Great job all the way around!

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

I assume you already have these – but just in case …

tom-in-ri
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For me in the snow, salt air, salt road, salt water environment I’m always glad to see those Wyoming finds. It’s amazing to find model T fenders in a field with no rust.
                    I head out to Lusk/Manville next week. Maybe one of those rust free jewels will fit in my suitcase.
                    Great project. Nice save.

1946zephyr
                    Participant

The Sportsman is one of my favorite small motors. The first one I acquired, was a 1937 model. The bottom of the cylinder jug was broke out from rust and freezing, but it still ran like a clock. Bill Siebel (chapter president of the Puget Sounders) sold me a brand new cylinder jug. I found a new set of rings at Engine Blade & Prop. Then a good running motor ran even better. I currently have a ’48 model that runs good plus I have a little ELTO .9 hp that is basically the same design as my ’37 Sportsman. That was about the best design of small outboards that Evinrude ever built. Very simple to operate too. That carb is a great design and very simple.

wyo307
                      Participant

Here is the video I promised a few weeks ago. It runs out of gas in the video but it’s enough to get a feel for how she is running.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.