Sound like bad bearing to you??

Home Forum Ask A Member Sound like bad bearing to you??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

• wedgie

Replies: 1041
    Topics: 78

Mid 60’s Johnson 18 hp. Starting around 13 seconds there is a "chirp" every revolution. This sound like a bad bearings? Nothing obviously rubbing under the flywheel. Click for video. http://vid635.photobucket.com/albums/uu … 0pnbyz.mp4

http://vid635.photobucket.com/albums/uu … 0pnbyz.mp4

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

I had to watch it a few times to hear it, but eventually did. Sure does sound like it from the video, but hard to tell. Is there any forward/aft movement of the flywheel?

I am just buttoning up a rebuild of a ’61 18hp with the same problem. Both upper and lower bearings were shot! Found the recirc line completely plugged up, I would have finished today but realized I don’t have any little fuel barbs to install to replace with the original with new. My project also had a bad bottom carbon seal, and missing drive shaft o ring, letting water into the bottom bearing.

Michael

International Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 77
    Topics: 9

I don’t know. If a bad bearing my normal experience is that the noise is continuous while running. Your seems to come and go. Maybe recirculation lines not providing correct amount of oil? Engine also seems to shake quite a bit, possible the shaking is causing something to scrape against something else?

jerry-ahrens

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

Hard to tell but sounds like crankshaft main bearings. I’ll be if you disassemble it you will find the center main bearing shot, along with scoring on the crank a possibility.

pappy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 616
    Topics: 37

Before folks have you tearing your engine completely apart check the flywheel to coil spacing. Hard to tell in the video but it almost looks like the mag plate is oscillating a bit.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

I dunno, I’ve heard lots of bad bearings over the years, but never one that sounded like that one. But I don’t know what else it might be, unless something under the flywheel as already suggested. Hey, you have to pull the flywheel before you can get to the rest of it anyway. Maybe you’ll luck out.

wedgie

Yeah, there is a fair bit of lateral movement on the crank. I did have the flywheel off to clean and set the points. I used Franks coil locating ring to confirm the coils are located properly. I even dimpled the collar where the mag plate rides to eliminate some of the slop from that worn bushing.That worked quite well for that issue, but of coursed did nothing for the sloppy crank. I had hopes for this motor, but not any more 🙁 I guess I have been lucky in the past as I haven’t had a powerhead with the mains worn like this.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

If the crank slops back and forth, that pretty much settles it doesn’t it?

wedgie

quote FrankR:

If the crank slops back and forth, that pretty much settles it doesn’t it?

Yup. I know I should have checked that before posting the question. 😳

shoestringmariner

Replies: 258
    Topics: 53
    quote Wedgie:

Yeah, there is a fair bit of lateral movement on the crank. I did have the flywheel off to clean and set the points. I used Franks coil locating ring to confirm the coils are located properly. I even dimpled the collar where the mag plate rides to eliminate some of the slop from that worn bushing.That worked quite well for that issue, but of coursed did nothing for the sloppy crank. I had hopes for this motor, but not any more 🙁 I guess I have been lucky in the past as I haven’t had a powerhead with the mains worn like this.

just so i know how its done, do you guys check visually, or are dial indicators required?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.