Home Forum Ask A Member Spam and Telemarketer phone calls

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member

I have had several pre recorded telemarketer phone calls over the past couple weeks, since I have put my name and e mail on the ”Upcoming Events” section of the AOMCI website. I included this information to advertise our MAPS chapter meets. What my concerns are here, is that the telemarketer always refers to me as a ”motor club associate”, asking me to participate in some sort of a marketing venture. This with all the spam and suspicious e mails is about to drive me nuts! I hate to take my name and e mail info down, but I may have to. Anybody else having this problem? 🙂

Tom
      Participant

US Member

This is an edit of a previous post. Yep, it’s started. Apparently Oprah is concerned that I don’t see enough videos.

Tom

cajuncook1
        Participant
          quote Jerry Ahrens:

I have had several pre recorded telemarketer phone calls over the past couple weeks, since I have put my name and e mail on the ”Upcoming Events” section of the AOMCI website. I included this information to advertise our MAPS chapter meets. What my concerns are here, is that the telemarketer always refers to me as a ”motor club associate”, asking me to participate in some sort of a marketing venture. This with all the spam and suspicious e mails is about to drive me nuts! I hate to take my name and e mail info down, but I may have to. Anybody else having this problem? 🙂

Jerry, I hate to say it, but removing your information from the ”Upcoming Events" will only help very little. Once they have that information they store it, especially if they have a returned email response or getting someone live on the phone. Then they share that information with their associates or sell it to their associates. Consent for this is written in very small print or found some where in the extreme filibustering of online consents when you access a site.

I still get calls from a job search website that I used from 12 years ago (Monster.com) and a hospital where I use to work. Someone was selling information like phone numbers and email address to agencies for recruitment.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

In Canada we have a National DO NOT CALL LIST and if marketing folks bug you they are in for heavy fines.
            (assuming they are not camped out in the Dom.Republic or some off-shore island or… US based !

IF you have such a listing service in teh USA you should register in .

Use to be a nice device on the market years ago ..called "FRIENDS ONLY"
            It would answer calls on the first ring and wait for the secret code ..only given to friends before it would ring your phone for good.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

johnyrude200
            Participant

there is a national do not call list in the US too Jerry, just look it up online. It is good for 3 years and is run through (I believe) the FCC.

burt
              Participant

Ditto, screen your calls and enroll in the national and state do not call lists that apply to your area. Google is your friend.

phil-b
                Participant

I was a little surprised/bothered when I saw a listing on this new forum for old Outboarder magazines AND member lists for sale, given that everything is visible to everyone (non members included).

dan-in-tn
                  Participant

US Member

Im home all day and get calls in spite of being registered with "Do not call". I have caller ID that comes up on my TV, but I have noticed something about their pattern. If you can make it a habit of picking up the phone, but don’t say anything the recorded machine crap wont start! It is waiting for you to say something before it starts to blab. National "Do not call" does not pertain to political calls! What do you know, but they are the most likely to use robo recorded messages, so practice up on your silence. It works!

Dan in TN

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

My spam filter is intercepting and storing a thousand junk messages a day. The buffer road runner uses to block messages is full, so I can’t add any more to block.

. . . . . . 😀

melugin
                      Participant

US Member

Although I am seldom within range of hearing our phone, I usually engage the caller with a long sales pitch about one of my projects. For credit issues, I feign ignorance of the whole system; and for law enforcement donations, I loudly accuse them of being in cahoots with my parole officer. Jerry has to answer a work phone, too bad. Maybe I could front the legitimate calls for you and aggravate the rest.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.