Spark plug wire boots – OMC 510289

Home Forum Ask A Member Spark plug wire boots – OMC 510289

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• burnt-clutch

Replies: 44
    Topics: 17

Do you all use a substitute part for the spark plug wire boots that seal the plug wire to the coil? I’m putting coils on my ’54 Fleetwin and don’t have any boots for the plug wires. Is there a Sierra marine equivalent to OMC 510289? I’m hoping to score something at my local Auto parts store if I could. Thanks in advance for your input.
    -Karl

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

I’ve heard of using a small piece of heat shrink tubing to replace the boot but haven’t tried it myself.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

If you are installing new coils,, 510289 is the wrong boot. That was for the old coils with a fatter snout. New coils “usually” come with the proper boot.

EDIT: Boot for the new coils is 0510964. They are mighty proud of them

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by frankr.

burnt-clutch

Good call. I’m installing coils off of a parts motor and these are a Zinc chromate green color and the snouts are tapered. The PO of the motor used Automotive plug wires and didn’t use a boot when he put them on the coils. Would RTV be a workaround if I cant find any boots?
    -Karl

olcah

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 567
    Topics: 94

Actually do we need the boots on the coil end? They can be very difficult to install on that end and adjust the coil position.

ede

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 181
    Topics: 7

You won’t score at the NAPA store. Sure you want the 510289, send me an email. Ed Elliott eddelliott@cox.net

drifter

Replies: 201
    Topics: 132

I put a small ring of Liquid Nails Clear Seal around the plug wire and then push it into the coil. Creates a good seal and makes for easier coil installation.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3619
    Topics: 331

I usually add a touch of dielectric grease all around but …………I like the heat shrink solution next time I install I will try it out

I make a small mark on the wire about 3/8 to 1/2 from the edge so when I screw in the wire on the post I know how far it went in on the screw post

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

burnt-clutch

I ended up putting a bead of Yamabond RVT sealer around the wire and then seated it in the coil snout. Thanks for all of the replies.
    -Karl

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.