Home Forum Ask A Member Spotters Quiz

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

What is this exactly and is that an electric starter on it?

Mystery-Motor

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I don’t know the exact model but it looks to be an early 30s Evinrude/Elto
        Maybe a Quad.
        That is an Owens Dyneto starter / generator on top.
        I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will be along and correct me if I’m wrong.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

It could be an Electric start Elto Speediquad or an electric start Evinrude Speedifour around 1931-32 . . .

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I can’t get the computer to pick up the Speediquad electric’s picture –

Randy in Tampa
            Participant

I would love to have that starter🤤

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

49morphew
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

All good guesses as to which model. I’m not sure either. It is an electric start model for sure. Rare and desirable. It does appear to be missing its coils and starter switch and obviously front cowling. Hopefully PM T2 will weigh in. Pretty sure he has more of these in captivity than anyone 👍

20190410_053543

Mumbles
                Participant

Thanks guys. Hopefully the PM can nail it!

I don’t think the C/L seller really knows what it is either as it’s being listed as a ’38 Johnson 33.4 horse motor. Huh? I’ll post the link later in the members only Leads For Motors section.

pm-t2
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

You would not believe the variety of four-cylinder motors that Evinrude and Elto offered for sale in the 1930-41 time frame. The Owen-Dyneto starter-generator was used on more Evinrude and Elto outboards than any other brand.

Names like Sportfour, Quad, Big Quad, Senior Quad, Speediquad, Speedifour, Big Four – all four-bangers, all available with electric start from the factory.

I would say if I had to bet, the CL motor is most likely an electric-start Speedifour or Speediquad. I have seen other images from other angles. its odd because it has the earlier round starter armature housing, but other angles show the later “veranda” style starter cover (the silver aluminum cover). Without knowing the model number, it’s tough to pin down the exact model. If the round starter housing is the correct one, I’d say my best guess would be that its a Speedifour Electric in the 1931-33 range.

Another possibility would be a Big Four Electric (the model 808 or 809 for 1931, model 816 or 817 for 1932). With those transom screws, it certainly could be the 40 HP model. The Elto’s typically used the mouse-ear type of thumbscrew, such as the ones visible on the Senior Speedster Electric in the image posted by Garry. Those get broken off a lot. The CL motor has the paddle-type transom screw that is seen on many outboards of that era, including the Lockwood Chief.

Hope this helps. If it doesn’t, feel free complain to upper management.

Best,
                    PM T2

A Hoskins
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It is a very early Martin. That thing on top is the pressure cooker.

"Fox News" isn't.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

A few more pictures –

29-Elto-Quad

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.