Home Forum Ask A Member Spun prop hub

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    majorramifications
    Participant

Hey guys,
      With your help, I finally got my ’63 Gale 15D15B running like a champ, but now the prop hub’s a spinnin’ but the prop, well not so much. If there is a cheap way to fix this, I haven’t found it.

Apparently, my options are:
      1) Buy a used prop that is still good
      2) Buy an NOS prop
      3) Buy a comparable but still available new OMC prop
      4) Buy an aftermarket (like a Michigan Wheel) prop

I’d rather not go through this again, so the first two options don’t appeal to me. I figure it’s just a matter of time before the old rubber in them craps out. Am I being paranoid?
      My main question is:
      Are the new factory parts from BRP considerably better than the aftermarket?

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

If the prop is in good condition get it rehubbed

lindy46
        Participant

US Member

If the prop is in good condition get it rehubbed

Most dealers can get this done (they send them out). Usually runs $40-50.

Mumbles
          Participant

It might be easiest to just replace the prop with a ‘known to be good’ used one. Any 10, 15, 18, 20, or 25 horse pin drive prop from ’51 thru ’77 will fit your motor except for the the ’58 – ’63 ten horse ones. Being only 15 horsepower, I’d stick with a lower pitch one to prevent lugging the motor.

rmhxruss
            Participant

A new prop may be the best option. Yes hubs are semi cheap but labor can be expensive and freight both ways will add to the cost.

tkwalker
              Participant

Like previously stated above… The best and most inexpensive way to go is get it rehubbed … $40 to $50, here in Middle Tennessee …. TK

majorramifications
                Participant

I didn’t know that re-hubbing was an option on these props. There is a prop guy at one of the outboard dealers that I buy parts from. He sings while he works, but I didn’t know it was possible to re-hub this thing. I’ll go see him next week.

Thanks guys!

Mumbles
                  Participant

$40 to $50, here in Middle Tennessee …. TK

You guys are getting a deal down there as we have to pay at least that amount to get just the hub and then shop labour on top!

There’s lots of hubs to choose from in the following PDF so take your pick.

HMS-Prop-Hubs-Pictures

A Hoskins
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you have ever watched the re-hub process you quickly realize that you could do this yourself. You need a press, but even an arbor press will do fine. Hubs are available from a number of sources.

"Fox News" isn't.

tkwalker
                      Participant

Now to clarify things , dealers down here usually will not rehub … They send them out to our Prop shops which only specialize in prop repair … That keeps the $$ down … Dealers labor rates are out of site ! TK

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.