Home Forum Ask A Member Trim Tabs on my 12 foot Alumacraft?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a 12 foot Alumacraft that I use to test run motors after restoring them. The boat is rated for up to 12HP motor. I have a Sea King 12 HP on it and went out last weekend to give it a test run. The bow of the boat was WAY up in the air upon acceleration and the boat was almost scary unstable.

I have tried tilting the motor but the bow going up doesn’t get better, and sometimes gets worse. I move as much weight as I can to the front and that helps a little.

Someone had mentioned putting trim tabs on the back of the boat. I didn’t know there was such a thing for a 12 foot boat. I know there are “powered” trim tabs for bigger boats but I have no “power” per se on my little boat. Where can one purchase them? Can they be made? What did you do to solve this issue on your boat?

Your advice on helping with this issue is appreciated.

Thank you
      Bill

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by huntleybill.
      amuller
      Participant

I don’t know what “stabilizers” means in this context.

What you will probably have to do is change the weight distribution. You could use a tiller extension and sit forward, but that won’t help too much if you need to fiddle with motor adjustments. Sandbags in the bow might help.

kerry
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
          huntleybill
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you. Putting sand bags in the bow just ads more weight in the boat. Yes, it will help keep the bow down , but I was hoping for a better solution.
            Kerry, I don’t know if I seriously want trim tabs. I’m not sure what the best solution is. Which is why I am here asking 🙂

I found “hydrofoils” that say they do the same thing as trim tabs but I have no experience with either one. So, I was hoping to get feedback from you folks.
            Would a hydrofoil work in my situation?

Samuel Phelps
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When you say you tilted the motor and it got worse . You mean that you lifted the foot of the motor up like tilting up ?
              Yes that would make it worse . You need to lower the foot as far down as you can go or even install transom wedges to get more down angle on the motor ..Also if your running long shaft motors on a short transom that would cause some problems .. If you want tabs these work pretty good also. https://www.iboats.com/shop/nauticus-sx-smart-tabs.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw04vpBRB3EiwA0IieajQLFedizOjvfJHIhxgzy4O_jUaHD5n6ykrFcUmoYPqF5G0Hcfh35BoCmW0QAvD_BwE#configurable_option=For%2015-19ft%20Boat%20and%2060-150HP
              They will help you get on plane pretty quick …

David Bartlett
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not to be a smart Alec, but how much weight are you talking about? Total operator, fuel, etc.

Take everything you don’t need and leave on shore.

If you need to add weight up front use water jugs rather than sand as it has neutral buoyancy if something bad happens.

David Bartlett
                Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Different props add advantage. Not sure what you are running. Please evaluate.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by jeff-register.
                  Mumbles
                  Participant

Bring a friend with you so he can sit up front and then both of you can enjoy the ride.

huntleybill
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When you say you tilted the motor and it got worse .

Yes. it did. I also have the motor IN as far as it will go. Still the problem. No, it is not a long shaft. Just your everyday 1958 Johnson 10HP.

adding sand bags, water jugs, or bringing a friend but then taking everything I don’t need ( like my annoying friend) and leaving it on the pier does not seem the best solution. (but then, what do I know)

Let me re-phrase the question: Trim tabs or hydrofoil, has any one used either of these devices on a small boat such as mine and did they work to correct the issues I described?

The Boat House
                      Participant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.