Trim Tabs on my 12 foot Alumacraft?

Home Forum Ask A Member Trim Tabs on my 12 foot Alumacraft?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)

• westwind

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 374
    Topics: 10

What model is your Alumacraft, besides 12 ft? The model # should be on the transom brace, a letter at the start of the serial #

huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 328
    Topics: 136

What model is your Alumacraft, besides 12 ft? The model # should be on the transom brace, a letter at the start of the serial #

E 1449

westwind

The model E is a narrow boat, I’d say it doesn’t have enough displacement at the transom to support the weight at the back. Removing weight at the transom or adding it at the bow are your best choices. A tiller extension and sitting forward might be a good choice. I have a Model A that is similar in width to the Model E, but longer at 14ft. It likes to lift the bow some, without some ballast of a tiller extension. Picture attached.

huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years

I am going to take off the 12HP Sea King and put on my ‘5710HP Johnson. I’ll extend the hose on the gas tank and move it forward. I also ordered a hydrofoil on ebay. I’ll try that first and see how that works.

foot_doctor

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 81
    Topics: 12

My thought is that you will be less than satisfied with your trim tab effort, but it’s certainly worth a try. Mount them as close to the outside edges of the bottom as possible. The fact is that the E and A models have a very narrow bottom, with an almost canoe like rounded profile. We have only had acceptable results with 5 to 7.5 horsepower engines on those narrow, round bottom boats. You will be much more successful with an Alumacraft model that has an F in the model number. FL, FD, etc. Their bottoms are wide enough to support the engine’s and your weight, while providing a large enough flat planing surface. E models were primarily meant for resort and car top service, with low horsepower outboards. Have fun boating. R.T.

huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks RT. but it is the boat I have and I need to make the best of it. You aren’t kidding about the “canoe like round profile”. It tilts REALLY easy. I have almost fallen out of it several times. When you accelerate from a idle or stop, it can get pretty squirrely very easily. Scares the crap out of you if your not paying attention!

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

To solve your problem, install steering wheel in the front and it will work safer. believe me. I know.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by dave-bernard.

westwind

I agree, my model A really rows well and is excellent with small motors, My model FL is much better with bigger planing motors. Just a few inches wider but planes much nicer. Trim tabs or hydrofoils don’t really compensate for the width….

huntleybill

US Member - 2 Years

To solve your problem, install steering wheel in the front and it will work safer. believe me. I know.

Actually, I was tinkering with the idea of building a dash/steering wheel/ remote controls. Something I can easily remove and mount as needed. I just don’t have a dash, a steering wheel, or a remote control.

RICHARD A. WHITE

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 1840
    Topics: 140

Scott Parrish added all of that to his 12 foot Sea King boat. I think it runs a 15 hp or more, my big 260 pound carcass in that little boat is a fun ride….

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
    classicomctools@gmail.com

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.