Home Forum Ask A Member starter motor, Elgin 30

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I cooked a perfectly good starter motor on my 1957 Elgin 30 (West Bend) this weekend. It’s an American Bosch SMB6a53, then ink stamped 556? Any idea where I can look for a replacement? I don’t have a parts list for this motor so I don’t have the West Bend/Chrysler part number for it. I tried google with "american Bosch smb6a53"
      ” target=”_blank”>

auldscott
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How about getting it rewound? There might still be some shops doing that.

david-bartlett
        Participant

David,

Is it positive ground?

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

did you open it up yet. may need to be cleaned or just a broken wire or brushes or brush springs.

frankr
            Participant

Matter of fact, they are positive ground. Won’t make any difference with the starter, but it sure as hang will matter with the charging system.

davidk
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote david bartlett:

David,

Is it positive ground?

Dave-
                Rusty has suggested this to me several times but I dismissed him……because he’s Rusty. I don’t actually understand the implication of it being positive ground. The motor has the original wiring harness that has two leads for the battery. One is red tipped. One is black. So I put the red to the positive terminal. The motor starts…..well, started……and ran for a good 20 minutes.

Please give me a simpleton’s explanation (that’s to a simpleton, not from a simpleton) of what it means if the motor is positive ground.
                -DK

davidk
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                  quote Dave Bernard:

did you open it up yet. may need to be cleaned or just a broken wire or brushes or brush springs.

Dave-
                  I did open it up. It’s quite cooked in there. This motor had very few hours on it so the starter wasn’t worn or dirty…..but it’s both now.
                  -DK

frankr
                  Participant

quote DavidK:

quote david bartlett:

David,

Is it positive ground?

Dave-
                    Rusty has suggested this to me several times but I dismissed him……because he’s Rusty. I don’t actually understand the implication of it being positive ground. The motor has the original wiring harness that has two leads for the battery. One is red tipped. One is black. So I put the red to the positive terminal. The motor starts…..well, started……and ran for a good 20 minutes.

Please give me a simpleton’s explanation (that’s to a simpleton, not from a simpleton) of what it means if the motor is positive ground.
                    -DK

Simple: Positive battery terminal connects to the motor frame. Everything else comes off the negative terminal. That is just the opposite of nearly everything made since then. The starter will run with reversed polarity, but the rectifier will be destroyed.

davidk
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Simple: Positive battery terminal connects to the motor frame. Everything else comes off the negative terminal. That is just the opposite of nearly everything made since then. The starter will run with reversed polarity, but the rectifier will be destroyed.[/quote]

So I still put the red lead on the positive terminal of the battery, right?

frankr
                      Participant

Yes, red lead on positive terminal of battery, and other end is grounded to engine frame. Heck, the cables could be pink and yellow, positive battery terminal is grounded is all that matters.

UM, now I’m wondering if that is a 6 Volt system (??anybody know??)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.