Home Forum Ask A Member Starter Rope Handle Scott Atwater

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tjflemmer
    Participant

I recently acquired a 3.6 HP Scott Atwater. The starter rope appears to be metal braid with a plastic sheath over it. At the handle somebody pulled it through the handle and used a U clamp to create a knot to secure it to the handle. I am trying to figure out how it would have originally been attached. Was there some sort ball or something at the end of the rope that broke off? Any ideas on how to make this set up look more authentic?

Monte NZ
      Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Hello there tjflemmer. As a matter of curiosity, what year is your 3.6hp Scott Atwater?
        If you PM me with your email I could scan the parts list for my 1947 motor which includes a diagram of the starting rope handle and forward it to you.

Monte NZ

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

That metal/plastic starter rope was made right here about five miles from where I’m sitting, by Olson Shear Pins Company. It actually is made from steering cable. The original was steel or bronze wire covered by brown woven cotton. I think I have a handle out in my shop, will look after I get my coffee.

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The rope was simply tied in a knot which went inside the cavity, then a metal insert covered the hole. Insert is missing on this one. Starter is from a larger motor.

100_1801

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by frankr.
            tjflemmer
            Participant

Super helpful. Thanks for insights from everybody. It appears to me that the original handle must have broken so it was replaced and then kludged together with the U-Bolt. frankr if you happen to have a handle that would be more original, I would be interested in purchasing it. Let me know. Tom

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.