Starting Ab-25 Johnson motor

Home Forum Ask A Member Starting Ab-25 Johnson motor

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar muddog2 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    muddog2

Replies: 37
    Topics: 23

Well, I went out this morning and put the motor in a barrel so I could see if the water pump worked. I cleaned it last week. I flooded the engine right off. Took out plugs, closed petcock valve, and pulled 8 times. II put the plugs back in and tried to start the motor with the carb set on fast and the armature handle over the carb in the center. It sputtered a few times no more than a couple seconds. I took the plugs out and changed gap to 20. Someone told me to set the gap to 30. With the petcock valve off I pulled 8 or 9 times and it ran a few seconds each time. I opened the petcock valve and after a couple of pulls it started. Had needle valve 1/2 turn out. Seems to run rough at slow speeds. It backfired a couple of times also. Good news is the water pump works. Now I just need to play around with this motor until I learn how to operate it. Here is a link to video of it running today. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000043664975
    Thanks again for all the help
    Robert Clark

muddog2

Went out after supper and I got the needle set. Motor ran like a champ. in slow and fast setting. Ready for the lake next weekend.

Tubs
    Tubs
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2316
    Topics: 131

When you have it on the boat and run it for the
    first time you will be experiencing exactly what the
    original owner did the first time he ran it 94 years
    ago. As close as you can get to going back in time.

muddog2

Yep!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.