Home Forum Ask A Member Starting Ab-25 Johnson motor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    muddog2
    Participant

Well I tried to start the motor today and when I opened the pit cock valve the fuel line started dripping at the carb. I think where it is solder in. The carb bowl did not fill up and ther is a small crimp in the fuel line. I filled the bowel manually and pulled the rope but it did not start. The gas leaked out of it also. I sprayed some fuel in the intake and got a few puffs of smoke when I pulled the rope, I don’t think I am getting enough spark. Should I try to regap the points and spark plugs? I have a little spark on both plugs. If the leak is at the large nut that holds the fuel line in, is there a seal that needs to be there ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I intend to use this as my primary motor for my 14′ semi v john boat. Also do I need to losen the cap on the gas tank so the fuel will run through the line so the bowel will fill up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

You need to address your fuel issue before you move on to ignition. Once you fix the leak try starting it again. The high speed jet will run best around 1/2 turn. Maybe start around 3/4 just to make sure it is getting enough fuel when cold.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

muddog2
        Participant

I took the gas line off the carb to drain gas back into can and nothing came out. I took the gas line off the pit cock valve and opened the valve to drain the engine and nothing came out. I took the gas tank off and poured the gas out and blew into the tank and all that happened is it built up with pressure so I took the pit cock valve off and it was clogged with dirt. I blew it out from the line side. The gas line was loose where it was soldered to the carb side and it had a small pinch in the line. I blew into the line and it was really hard to get the fuel out of it and also hard to blow air through it. I guess I need a new gas line and clean the tank out. Can I use copper tubing of the same diameter to replace the gas line? I took one of the plugs out and could not smell any gas in the cylinder, just the pb blaster I used to free the seized engine. I guess tomorrow I am going to strain the gas into a new can to make sure there is no dirt in it and flush the gas tank. Hopefully I can get this done tomorrow so I can take it for a short spin at the lake Father’s Day.
          Thanks again, Robert

stanley
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There is supposed to be a fiber washer where the big fuel line nut attaches to the carb.A small dent in your fuel line shouldn’t be a problem.The most likely problem is the crud you found plugging things up.Check the needle seat to make sure it’s not plugged.Make sure the vent in your gas cap is open.Before you pull the fly wheel again,check the ohms between the two plug wire ends.Good luck

muddog2
            Participant

The fuel line is a problem. I can suck on the end of it and it sticks to my tongue for a few seconds before the air leaks through the crimp. There is a clog at the crimp in the line. I have pushed several sizes of wire through the line and can not get past the crimp in the line on either side. Been looking here in Columbia, SC for 1/8″ copper tubing and can’t find any with what is open today.
              As for the fiber washer I don’t have one. Is there something I can buy at an auto parts store to make one or does anyone have one for sale? I noticed a screw inside the gas cap under the top and a needle going through the outside at the top. I can blow and suck on the cap and air passes through, but it takes a lot of pressure. Again thanks for all the help.
              Robert

jcrigan
              Participant

I think you will need 3/16ths inch tubing and a new ferrel for that fuel line. You could temporarily use a piece of plastic tubing fitted over the old line. On that nut that screws onto the carb, do not overtighten or it will crack. Those are hard to find.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by jcrigan.
                stanley
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

As far as the washer goes,it’s easy to make.Gasket material is available at any auto supply store and you’ll need an X-acto knife.It sounds like your gas cap vent is ok,but if in doubt leave loose or off and see if it makes a difference.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by stanley.
                  muddog2
                  Participant

Thanks, I was thinking of using cork. Or should I get something else. Does the washer go inside the nut and then the piece the fuel line goes into before I screw it onto the bottom of the carb?
                    Thanks, any help is appreciated.

The Boat House
                    Participant

stanley
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Gasket goes between carb bottom and fuel line assembly. Big nut just holds it all together.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.