Starting my first restoration of a Scott Atwater. Did they paint them like this?

Home Forum Ask A Member Starting my first restoration of a Scott Atwater. Did they paint them like this?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar huntleybill 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    huntleybill
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 216
    Topics: 81

There is white paint on the flywheel, fuel lines, fgrommets, even the carb is painted white.

Were these motors painted this way at the factory or was this someone else’s handy work?

S/n 3375-6564. What color should this motor be?

Attachments:
    Tom
    Tom
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 354
    Topics: 36

That’s pretty much stock for that era.

T

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4252
    Topics: 43

Looks like I remember them.

huntleybill
    US Member - 1 Year

Wow…really? Maybe I shouldn’t restore/repaint it. I don’t know how to do a crappy paint job!
    ok…thank you for the input. Now I have to find out where to get parts for it!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Mumbles Mumbles.
    Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4107
    Topics: 420

Everything under the hood on a few early sixties Scott-McCullochs I have are painted white, even the spark plug wires. The next time I’m over at my storage place, I’ll check the ’53 and ”56 S-A’s but they are green ones.

The photos of this ’55 30 horse electric show the wiring and fuel lines installed after it was painted. The company policy was probably different back then before selling out to McCulloch.

Attachments:
    huntleybill
    US Member - 1 Year

Thank you Mumbles. I just think it looks terrible to paint them that way. Makes me wonder if I should re-paint it without the carb, flywheel, wires, hoses etc or do it the way they did it in the factory.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn’t matter.

dave-bernard
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 858
    Topics: 10

what floats your boat is fine. unless you are doing a like new show.

geary
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 7
    Topics: 3

Bill,
    I have a couple of the late ScottAtwaters ( 10hp) and an Elgin 12 (14hp) both are painted like the one you showed ! As Dave said it’s all up to you as to how authentic you want to be ! Personally I enjoy running them more than worrying about whether they are vintage perfect !

Mummbles, If the picture of the ScottAtwater 30 is yours, beautiful job ! I had a 33hp years ago but gave it away, sad as I would like to find another one !

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4107
    Topics: 420

Mumbles, If the picture of the ScottAtwater 30 is yours, beautiful job !

Ha! I wish it was! Just a photo I found on the interweb somewhere.

johng
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 76
    Topics: 8

Hey! Hey! Call Stan Jackson in Mansfield, Oh. He has one of those for sale. I think it is a 30 HP. Has wiring harness & Shifter with cables. Electric Start. 419 589 5818

huntleybill
    US Member - 1 Year

I think I will paint it without painting the carb, plug wires, fuel lines etc. Its all under the hood so I will focus on getting it running well and using it. I like them when they work!

Although the “Scott Atwater” chrome piece on either side is pretty badly pitted and the face plate that is on the front of the shroud is beat up. Does anyone make replacements for these pieces? Or what options am I looking at for these?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.