Home Forum Ask A Member Starting my first restoration of a Scott Atwater. Did they paint them like this?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There is white paint on the flywheel, fuel lines, fgrommets, even the carb is painted white.

Were these motors painted this way at the factory or was this someone else’s handy work?

S/n 3375-6564. What color should this motor be?

thumbnail

Tom
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

That’s pretty much stock for that era.

T

frankr
        Participant

Looks like I remember them.

huntleybill
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wow…really? Maybe I shouldn’t restore/repaint it. I don’t know how to do a crappy paint job!
            ok…thank you for the input. Now I have to find out where to get parts for it!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
            Mumbles
            Participant

Everything under the hood on a few early sixties Scott-McCullochs I have are painted white, even the spark plug wires. The next time I’m over at my storage place, I’ll check the ’53 and ”56 S-A’s but they are green ones.

The photos of this ’55 30 horse electric show the wiring and fuel lines installed after it was painted. The company policy was probably different back then before selling out to McCulloch.

1955-Scott-Atwater-3

1955-Scott-Atwater

huntleybill
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Mumbles. I just think it looks terrible to paint them that way. Makes me wonder if I should re-paint it without the carb, flywheel, wires, hoses etc or do it the way they did it in the factory.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn’t matter.

dave-bernard
                Participant

what floats your boat is fine. unless you are doing a like new show.

geary
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bill,
                    I have a couple of the late ScottAtwaters ( 10hp) and an Elgin 12 (14hp) both are painted like the one you showed ! As Dave said it’s all up to you as to how authentic you want to be ! Personally I enjoy running them more than worrying about whether they are vintage perfect !

Mummbles, If the picture of the ScottAtwater 30 is yours, beautiful job ! I had a 33hp years ago but gave it away, sad as I would like to find another one !

Mumbles
                    Participant

Mumbles, If the picture of the ScottAtwater 30 is yours, beautiful job !

Ha! I wish it was! Just a photo I found on the interweb somewhere.

johng
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hey! Hey! Call Stan Jackson in Mansfield, Oh. He has one of those for sale. I think it is a 30 HP. Has wiring harness & Shifter with cables. Electric Start. 419 589 5818

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.