Home Forum Ask A Member Steering cable geometry?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ShortyLaVen
    Participant

Hello! I’m setting up the steering on my ’59 Crestliner Commodore with a ’59 Johnson 35hp and have a few questions. The old setup was very crude and didn’t work well, so I’m basically doing it from scratch. This is my first boat resto so I don’t have any prior experience with this stuff.

The first thing I notice is that when turned all the way in either direction, the last 1/4 turn of the steering wheel compresses the spring. I am using a single spring on the port side. When this happens the cable it also touching the motor pivot and possibly binding. It seems to work ok in what I imagine is the actual working steering range. Is it normal for there to be interference at the extreme ends of the steering range, or do I need to reconfigure my mounting locations?

The other thing I’m wondering about is that when the motor is tilted up the cables go completely slack. Is this acceptable, or is this another sign that I have it set up wrong?

Some of the diagrams I have seen show that the corner pulley should be 1.5″ below the level of the motor mount, and the cable anchor 1.5″ above. I have the pulley in roughly the correct spot, but it doesn’t seem possible to have the end of the cable 1.5″ above. The dip in the transom is only that deep, and would out the ideal mounting point at the very top edge of the transom, this interfering with the corner brackets.

Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated!!!

IMG_20200708_232120

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Mumbles.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member

Actually, I’m impressed that you got it pretty darn good. Part of the reason it tightens up at hardover is because the corner pulleys are a bit forward of the ideal position, but you have them about as far aft as possible. There is a different kind of motor attachment that causes less tightening at hardover, but I don’t know that it is worthwhile to go looking for one. I’m not sure what you mean by touching the pivot.

What kind of cable drum does the helm have? Could the tightening up because of excess cable climbing up on itself at hardover? The best kind of drum is the kind with a spiral spool where the cable doesn’t climb up, but that kind is sort of hard to find.

Finally, I THINK the spring is on the wrong side, but could (likely) be wrong. My forgetter is working well.

Anyhoo, congratulations for doing the job as well as you have.

ShortyLaVen
        Participant

Actually, I’m impressed that you got it pretty darn good. Part of the reason it tightens up at hardover is because the corner pulleys are a bit forward of the ideal position, but you have them about as far aft as possible. There is a different kind of motor attachment that causes less tightening at hardover, but I don’t know that it is worthwhile to go looking for one. I’m not sure what you mean by touching the pivot.

What kind of cable drum does the helm have? Could the tightening up because of excess cable climbing up on itself at hardover? The best kind of drum is the kind with a spiral spool where the cable doesn’t climb up, but that kind is sort of hard to find.

Finally, I THINK the spring is on the wrong side, but could (likely) be wrong. My forgetter is working well.

Anyhoo, congratulations for doing the job as well as you have.

Thanks for your reply and feedback! I got the spring position from another thread that I found on this site, but I will definitely go back and double check. It’s possible I read it wrong as to which side is with/without spring.

That’s also a good point about the cable climbing over itself. I just went out to the garage to check and sure enough that is exactly what’s happening! The spring starts to compress and the exact point the cable starts to double up on the drum. If that’s all it is I think I’ll just live with it since it’s only at extreme hard over.

I took a quick picture of where the cable touches, again only when turned as far as possible. It is slight, but you can see where the cable it deflecting slightly.

Thanks again for the reply, I very much appreciate it!!! I’ll definitely have more questions coming up as I get the motor running.

IMG_20200709_105813

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Mumbles.
          frankr
          Participant

US Member

Actually, swivel pulleys aren’t supposed to be used at the motor connection. Non-swivel pulleys supposedly stay flat. Whether that would cure the touching or not, is hard to say. The real reason for using non-swivel pulleys there is to prevent them from spinning and twisting the cable up.

EDIT: Example of non-swivel pulleys (Not mine) https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVINRUDE-JOHNSON-377440-ROPE-CABLE-PULLEY-STEERING-CONNECTOR-ANCHOR-BRACKET-4/114236544184?hash=item1a990754b8:g:BQUAAOSwQBNezIiD

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by frankr.
            ShortyLaVen
            Participant

I have seen a few similar fixed pulleys here and there, I’ll be sure to grab some next time I see them. Thanks again for the help!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.