Home Forum Ask A Member Strip or Sand off Mercury Green

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    green-thumbs
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Advice needed on how to remove paint. I am undecided whether to use a stripper or sand. Dark Green Mercury paint, Advice on how to use body filler and or sanding primer. Grit to sand with also would be appreciated. I would like to get results worth the effort. Thank You

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hello Green thumbs, You must be getting an old motor ready to go COOL!  Painting and body work takes years of practice.  I like to sand blast the old paint off.  You can sand it or strip it, it really doesn’t mater as long as you get a good surface for the new paint to adhere too.  If you need to fill imperfections you should use maybe 100 grit to help the bondo stick good.  Mix that goop up and slop it on then use a straight edge to do your best to follow the contour of your tank.  When it hardens I use a coarse file to smooth the bondo then 100 grit to get it close.  Sometimes I need to do several coats of the filler then a sanding block with finer paper maybe 220.  I use a automotive filling primer to fill in the scratches.  Some of my jobs are 20 foot paint jobs but once in a while I get lucky and it turns out ok.

It would be nice to bump into you again one of these days!

dale

get’em wet….don’t let’em set

The Boat House
        Participant

I think you would get a lot more from a video than what anyone could post here. There are ton’s of them but I think this one (link below) is the best Ive seen (except for the red spot putty) to demonstrate the process. As Dale has explained there is some skill involved. Some pick it up right away. Others never do. Another option is to leave off the paint altogether. Tubs

Link – https://youtu.be/T4VshJmCCrU?si=_Qqt2n0peQTX-biF

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank You for the useful pointers. I do not get out and about ss much so I have more time to work on deferred projects such as a pair of Green Tank KE-3 singles. Tank and cowl have to be near perfect to look right. Current barn paint brushed on over grease and grime does not do them justice.

Louis

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

depending on cost…..  you could take it in a car paint shop to do the final  prep and “perfect”  finish by a professional.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.