Home Forum Ask A Member Stubborn Flywheel, Gale 40 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I used the Freeze-Off on a seized transom clamp screw on my ’56 30hp Johnson. Heated the transom bracket up with the torch real good then sprayed the clamp screw with the Freeze-off. The quick temperature change shrunk the clamp screw and it backed right out. Thought it might work on your flywheel but sounds like yours might need dynamite!

Next time I get to the big city I’ll look for a can of Freeze off……. or could I just put the whole
      powerhead in the freezer a couple of days (leaving the puller on, under tension) and
      quick heat the flywheel with the torch?????

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw
      Participant

Hadn’t thought of that but guess it could work.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Finding a used flywheel should be relatively easy….I would consider using the air hammer around the flywheel, close to the taper, while an assistant prys up on the flywheel. Just be careful and don’t get hurt….

Buccaneer
          Participant

Finding a used flywheel should be relatively easy….I would consider using the air hammer around the flywheel, close to the taper, while an assistant prys up on the flywheel. Just be careful and don’t get hurt….

At one time I tried “ringing” the flywheel with a blunt bit in the air hammer,
            hoping the sonic vibrations would help the puller “do it’s thing”, but
            the only thing it did was ring my ears.

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw
            Participant

Buc,
              Any luck yet??

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

Buccaneer
              Participant

Buc,

Any luck yet??

Bob, the power head is sitting on my workbench with the flywheel puller on,
                under pressure, while I’m trying to build a 10′ x 10′ “outboard” shed. My
                wife thinks rakes, shovels, ladders, weed wackers, etc., are going in it.
                I glance occasionally at the bench to see if the flywheel magically popped off, but always “No”.
                Sadly, my Cadillac boat project is in the garage with the transom boards tore apart,
                awaiting it’s turn.

DSCN8082

Prepare to be boarded!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Buccaneer.
                • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Buccaneer.
                bobw
                Participant

So much to do, so little time!!

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

Buccaneer
                  Participant

So, I put the 40 hp Gale power head with the stuck flywheel in the freezer
                    for two days with the flywheel puller attached and tensioned, ready for
                    action. I had the torch ready to go in the garage. Rushed said power head
                    out to the garage, fired up the torch…… nothing happened. Tightened
                    the puller up more….. same old story, snapped off one of the 1/4″
                    shoulder bolts. Decided to drill out the three 1/4″ holes for 5/16″ shoulder
                    bolts, which I had purchased, “just in case”. Drilled out the first hole
                    with my “F” drill bit. Started tapping with my USA made tap. Had 1/16″ to
                    go tapping the first hole, and yes, I snapped off the tap.
                    Made several futile attempts removing the tap, including welding a nut on.
                    Gave up, and decided to destroy the flywheel to end this long tiresome
                    saga. Drilled holes all around the crankshaft in the same arc as the three
                    puller bolt holes. Spend much time connecting the dots, a.k.a. “Holes”
                    with punches, chisels, and more drilling at angles. The broken tap fought
                    to the end hole the flywheel on, but I finally managed to break the flywheel
                    free. Was then stuck with the steel hub over the crankshaft. Attached
                    my bearing puller to it and it wouldn’t budge…… not that I really expected it
                    to. Then put the air grinder and cut off wheel to work, cutting thru the hub
                    where the flywheel key was, so the keep the grinding wheel away from the
                    crankshaft taper. The hub did not want to budge until I cut a slot on the other
                    side and got the torch out and started “heating”…… after two months of
                    monkeying around with this flywheel, I was finally satisfied with a mighty “POP”.
                    I was afraid of ruining some good coils, but alas, I need not have worried
                    about that…… they were originals.
                    I’m only going to finish this project “if” I find a cheap flywheel.
                    I would love to hear the old Gale run, but it being a “non electric start” model,
                    not sure I’d be able to pull start it anyway!

DSCN8128

DSCN8130

DSCN8131

DSCN8133

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                    Participant

Good used hub for sale, lol.

DSCN8135

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw
                      Participant

Man, that was one tough mother – those 100ft-lb flywheels must do their job well! Hate to see the flywheel destroyed to get it off, but at least it’s off. I was hoping your idea of the freezer and torch method would have worked.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 51 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.