Home Forum Ask A Member Swivel bracket lubrication fitting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I have a BRP grease gun that takes 3 oz. tubes of Triple Guard grease.
      All of the grease fittings i have run across on my motors are the open nipple type ,part of the casting. The only automotive type on my motors are on the swivel bracket near the bottom.
      This grease gun when pressed onto the lower swivel bracket grease fitting locks on and it is a real chore to pull it off.
      I did this to my 1966 Evin 6 hp 6602 today and the gun locked onto the fitting. I had to pull so hard and pry off the gun from the fitting with a screwdriver that the pressed in grease fitting came out of the swivel bracket. I thought i had busted it off ,luckily it is pressed in .I had to use vise grips to rip that fitting out of the grease gun which destroyed the fitting.
      Further "research’"with this gun with the same non -threaded fitting removed off of a ’67 9.5 and a later threaded type fitting shows the gun does need to really be pressed onto the fitting quite hard but doesn’t have to "lock on" to get grease through the fittings.As the grease gun is full of grease, it is hard to see whats going on inside the gun tip that causes this to happen.
      Has anyone had this same problem with this brand grease gun? What causes the gun to "lock on" to the fitting?
      Thanks, Jim PSB

Attachments:

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

rpsiii
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jim,

Unscrew the connector (nozzle) piece from the end of the gun a bit and it should make

connecting and disconnecting from the fittings much easier. Nothing should "leak" and you

won’t need to remove the gun with any force. Has always worked for me with all the

grease guns I’ve handled!!

Respectfully

Bob

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Don’t know anything about the grease gun, but I do know I’ve replaced a lot of those pressed-in fittings with threaded ones.

frankr
          Participant

Don’t know anything about the grease gun, but I do know I’ve replaced a lot of those pressed-in fittings with threaded ones.

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bob is right. The standard zerk fitting can make the grease gun fitting very difficult to remove when it has pressure on it from the grease being forced into where it goes. If the fitting pressure-locks onto the zerk, you should be able to unscrew the gun fitting from the grease gun and relieve the captured pressure. Once the pressure is relieved, the gun fitting sould come off the zerk a lot easier. Sometimes you have to apply some side load to it to get the connection to sort of cam apart. 😉
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

jw-in-dixie
              Participant

I use various sizes of PVC pipe and other plumbing parts to make replacement bushings for lightly used or wall hanger motors.

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

I will unscrew the fitting on the end a bit to relieve the grease pressure from now on. Thanks so much for your responses!
                  Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

nj-boatbuilder57
                  Participant

$14.29 for a single zerk?

I’m in the wrong line of work!

PugetSoundBoater
                    Participant
                      quote NJ-boatbuilder57:

$14.29 for a single zerk?

I’m in the wrong line of work!

Yeah i was surprised when i saw that price. I was able to salvage one from a 9.5 junk motor .I’m glad i kept the remains of that motor. 😀

Robbie Robertson

frankr
                      Participant

The threaded ones are available at any auto parts store. And a lot cheaper too

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.