Home Forum Ask A Member Tall boy gas tank clean up

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    john8504
    Participant

I’m in search of a little bit of information and maybe a direction to go. My tall boy has some rust inside and on the top from moisture. I am also cleaning up all the brass hardware from the due gauge, fuel pickup, and pump rod. I’m currently cleaning as many parts as I can with ketchup.

Questions:
      1. Where can I get the diaphram for the pickup?
      2. I found a round gasket on the pump rod that is toast. Where abouts do I get a replacement?
      3. What is the best way to clean out rust from inside of tank without destroying paint?

johnyrude200
      Participant

cleaning rust in an old tank:

put a bunch of small nuts and washers inside, wrap in a 4-5 throwaway towels, and then wrap thoroughly in duct tape.

Put it in your dryer on NO HEAT and let it tumble on the gentle cycle for a half hour. It will be free of rust but will need to be cleaned out obviously after with whatever solvent you decide to use.

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Fist Step Should be….
          1.- Make sure your wife is not home.

cleaning rust in an old tank:

put a bunch of small nuts and washers inside, wrap in a 4-5 throwaway towels, and then wrap thoroughly in duct tape.

Put it in your dryer on NO HEAT and let it tumble on the gentle cycle for a half hour. It will be free of rust but will need to be cleaned out obviously after with whatever solvent you decide to use.

Prepare to be boarded!

john8504
          Participant

Yeah!! No kidding! My wife would kill me.

Also, my tall boy is a 49-50 6 bolt model.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by john8504.
            David Bartlett
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I used electrolysis with a battery charger to clean mine. Very easy and thorough job.

David Bartlett
              Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

The Boat House
              Participant

john8504
                Participant

Yeah there will definitely be hell to pay for sure!! …doesn’t mean I’m not going to try lol.

Electrolysis via a battery charger eh? Hmm i might need to look into that. Could be useful in other applications. Did you just fill the tank with a substance and then introduce two electrodes that were clamped to the charger?

Ken Smith
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The chain instead of nuts and bolts is a great idea! Makes it simpler.

www.kenadianoutboards.com

David Bartlett
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

John,

That is basically it. You need some washing soda(supermarket laundry section) to add to the water and some sacrificial pieces of steel. Very simple. GOOGLE it and you will find lots of info.

David Bartlett
                      Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Mumbles
                      Participant

Here’s the instructions in PDF from Don Kruitz using a washing soda solution.

Electrolysis_Rust_Removal

One thing to watch out for, most, if not all modern battery chargers will not put out any current unless they have current going into them, such as from a dead battery. The three bank marine charger in the photos is different and puts out current all the time. That’s why there is no battery hooked up in the circuit.

DSC00053

Cooking-Tanks

DSC00044

DSC00033

DSC00039

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.